Sony Cyber-shot U60

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderDaSea104

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone used one of these cameras? I'm looking for some feedback on it. I am concidering purchasing one because of the resonable price, and because I'm quite new to this. I plan on doing some snorkeling in Cozumel in the fall. Thought it would be interesting to get some underwater shots.
I have a Canon G2 that I absolutely love. However, the waterproof housing for it runs close to $400! I'm not going to have the opportunity to use it in the water enough to warrant that kind of price tag. I just want to have a little fun. I love to take pictures and this is something I've never tried. The waters in New England are far too merky to see anything!

Any info on this little Sony would be helpful!

Thanks!

UnderDaSea104:
Hey, has anyone used one of these cameras? I'm looking for some feedback on it. I am concidering purchasing one because of the resonable price, and because I'm quite new to this. I plan on doing some snorkeling in Cozumel in the fall. Thought it would be interesting to get some underwater shots.
I have a Canon G2 that I absolutely love. However, the waterproof housing for it runs close to $400! I'm not going to have the opportunity to use it in the water enough to warrant that kind of price tag. I just want to have a little fun. I love to take pictures and this is something I've never tried. The waters in New England are far too merky to see anything!

Any info on this little Sony would be helpful!

Thanks!

read a review on them, basically they are only good for 1.5m (pretty useless), so if you decided to go on a dive you would be very limited.

you would be better off getting the g2 housing and get much better results or going for a cheap camera with a cheap housing.

I would do the housing even in bad viz with a strobe and 1 - 3 feet you can get some very good pics. Remember the golden rule in u/w photography get close then get closer.
just my 2c

clive francis:
read a review on them, basically they are only good for 1.5m (pretty useless), so if you decided to go on a dive you would be very limited.

you would be better off getting the g2 housing and get much better results or going for a cheap camera with a cheap housing.

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on the cheap cam/housing? I've been looking and the housings for most cameras are pretty pricey. I can get the U60 for $220, and I will probably only use it underwater for snorkeling(maybe once or twice a year). I'm no diver!

What do you think?

Hey, I just checked out your Deep Blue. Wow! Great pics!

UnderDaSea104:
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on the cheap cam/housing? I've been looking and the housings for most cameras are pretty pricey. I can get the U60 for $220, and I will probably only use it underwater for snorkeling(maybe once or twice a year). I'm no diver!

What do you think?

Hey, I just checked out your Deep Blue. Wow! Great pics!

how good are you at snorkelling?

almost everyone will pass 1.5m, and hit the 2 to 3m (the greatest rate of change is the first 2 - 3m).

check ebay, you might find someone seling one (camera/housing or both) due to upgrading.

i think that if you bought the u60 you would only upgrade it later, it was designed as a pool/water park camera not for snorkelling

clive francis:
how good are you at snorkelling?

almost everyone will pass 1.5m, and hit the 2 to 3m (the greatest rate of change is the first 2 - 3m).

check ebay, you might find someone seling one (camera/housing or both) due to upgrading.

i think that if you bought the u60 you would only upgrade it later, it was designed as a pool/water park camera not for snorkelling

As for snorkeling - this will be my first trip! As I said - I'm no diver.

I understand what you are saying. I thought that you didn't go down more than a few feet when snorkeling. The camera is rated for 5ft. I will take your advise though and check out ebay. The only thing that worries me about buying used, is not knowing whether the camera has had water damage. I've read several postings on various boards about flooded housings :crying2:.

I'm not going to jump into anything I've got plenty of time to research. I was hoping to find someone who has actually used one, to see what they had to say about it. I know its a toy compared to the outfits I've read about, but for all intensive purposes it may be the most realistic answer in my case. It will probably see more waterparks and pools (maybe an occasional rafting trip) than it will snorkeling.

Happy shooting!
:fish:

does sony make a housing for the u60 or does another manufacturer?
i never heard of one.

XJae:
does sony make a housing for the u60 or does another manufacturer?
i never heard of one.

The Sony Cyber-shot U60 is a sealed camera. There is no housing for it. It is only rated as waterproof to 5 feet below water level. Not a divers camera! It's for newbies only. If your interest in it you can check it out at mwave.com, they had the best deal on it. I'm still deciding.

Just a newbie :snorkel: looking for some pretty fish :goldfish:

Ahh. That explains it.
Obviously I haven't used it.

I use the P10 with the PHA housing.

The U60, doen't look bad. Especially for the price.
It's only 2 mega pixels, though.

I'd also be concerned about the 5 foot max depth.
When I snorkle I usually hit 20 feet and only breach the surface for air.
(If you plan on just floating on top, don't forget a lot of sunscreen.)

cdiver2 mentioned the golden rule of getting closer.
I'd say the second rule is to try to shoot up.
So remember all your shots will be down.

As far as a cheap housing, (other than really cheap disposables)
I don't think you'll find one for less than about $180.
Sony makes one for the P8 & P10, Canon makes one for the elf series, Olympus might too.

So if you went that route it would cost you at least twice the U60.

XJae:
Ahh. That explains it.
Obviously I haven't used it.

I use the P10 with the PHA housing.

The U60, doen't look bad. Especially for the price.
It's only 2 mega pixels, though.

I'd also be concerned about the 5 foot max depth.
When I snorkle I usually hit 20 feet and only breach the surface for air.
(If you plan on just floating on top, don't forget a lot of sunscreen.)

cdiver2 mentioned the golden rule of getting closer.
I'd say the second rule is to try to shoot up.
So remember all your shots will be down.

As far as a cheap housing, (other than really cheap disposables)
I don't think you'll find one for less than about $180.
Sony makes one for the P8 & P10, Canon makes one for the elf series, Olympus might too.

So if you went that route it would cost you at least twice the U60.

Hey, I appreciate the info.

I'm not sure what to do. When you say you usually snorkel to 20ft. The U60 sounds pretty useless. Where do you do your snorkeling? Have you ever had a problem with leaky housings? I've read a few horror stories. Wouldn't be too thrilled to dump $400 or $500 in the ocean!

We will be in Cozumel. No idea of the area we will be snorkeling in there or how deep it will be.

Guess I need to do some more research :confused_

Back
Top Bottom