Sony CCD-TR917 - Help finding housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up an SPK-TRB housing on ebay for $40. I'll give it a try and lett you guys know how it works out.

Well, this isn't a total loss for me at $40 spent on the SPK-TRB housing. Although initially, I thought the housing would be OK for scuba, the instructions clearly tell you that it is not intended for the sport. For that, you would want the "Sport" housing which is not exactly cheap. As it turns out, my mom and dad are big into snorkeling now and it would seem that the SPK-TRB housing would be great for this purpose if not submerged more than a few feet. It just passed the tub UW test (filled with newspapers) and is going on a trip to Mexico next week. I hopw it works out.

For that, you would want the "Sport" housing
Actually you want the "Marine" housing.

The SPK-xxx (Sport Pack) housings are for surface/snorkel use only.
The MPK-xxx (Marine Pack) housings are for diving.

But as howarde mentioned somewhere, they're heavy. Which could be a factor for travel. And some of the older ones are very model-specific. I see one sold regularly on eBay that only fits a CCD-M8U camcorder - the original 8MM camcorder from Sony. It's so old it doesn't even have playback, that was a separate unit.

There's a lot of old junk being sold on eBay also. A lot of it is also misrepresented as being able to be used with newer model camcorders, which is generally not true since Sony has relocated the front lens on their camcorders at least twice in the last decade. So most front ports on housings designed for older models won't line up correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom