Sony A7RII + Aquatica Fisheye and Dome Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darrenlowjq

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I recently acquired an A7RII and have an Aquatica housing that will be arriving this week, currently in a macro configuration with the 90mm. I'm looking ahead and would like to be able to do some close focus wide angle shot in the future, so looking at what fisheye options are available to me.

I already own the Sony FE 28mm F2, from what I can gather I can either get the Sony fisheye converter and get the dome that I was planning to use with a Sony FE 16-35 F4 anyway or get a flat port and use the Nauticam WWL-1. Consensus seems to be that fisheye convertor + dome port has a bit of an edge in terms of image quality, so that's the way I'm leaning.

From the Aquatica lens chart (http://www.aquatica.ca/en/charts/sony_type_4.pdf), seems that I could opt for the 9.25" megadome or the 8" dome, would like some help understanding the pros and cons of going either way

My understanding is that I may end up having to get a mini dome too for close focus wide angle, though this option is not listed in this lens chart. I see that Aquatica is offering 4" and 6" domes too so anyone can offer any insights on this as well?

Finally, I'm open to the idea of non-native lenses but the options available with respective adapters are a little overwhelming to someone like me relatively new to interchangeable lens cameras. The lens chart from Aquatica also doesn't show any explicit support for these third party lenses other than Canon so I guess I will have some homework to do if I opt for one of these over the native options. Anybody have good non-native full frame fisheye lens options to recommend that might work better than the native ones I'm currently looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I have used the A7 II and A7R II with the Nauticam housing both with the Rokinon 12mm Fisheye (manual) and the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye with the Metabones adapter. The Canon worked well with the ZEN Underwater 100mm optical glass port. They have an Aquatica version that I think will work but you need to check before you buy. The Rokinon was used with a makeshift gear and a 200mm dome port, won't work with a small port. The Canon is by far the best choice at this time. The Nauticam WWL-1 would also be the best choice for the 28mm, not a fan of the lens adapters unless cost is a big issue. To me it would seem a shame to use average glass with such a high res camera. If you would like to PM me I have several lenses for sale at this time.

I'll be curious to find out what you do. I've placed my order for an Aquatica Housing for the A6500, I'm planning on starting with the 16-50mm lens, and I have both a domed port and a flat port coming so I can make use of Aquatica's macro adapter. I know I'll want other lens' going forward but being unsure I figured I'd be better off trying some different combos first.

I'm still pondering whether to house my A7r (or a mk II now that the euro prices have dropped below 3000 for the body), but I think I'd probably use the 28mm with the WWL-1 to keep the option of shooting both macro and wideangle on a single dive. I've grown accustomed to the joys of wet lens swaps underwater. It's also a sort-of-acceptable cost for someone like me (~40 dives/year in a good year).

The Canon is by far the best choice at this time

Did some further reading and seems I should save up more for a Metabones IV and the Canon lens. The fact that Aquatica has this as an explicitly supported configuration was also a big plus as I don't have to figure out on my own whether its going to work. Thanks Phil! Probably gonna pass on the lens from you though, I'm probably better off sourcing a local second hand copy here. I guess the only decision I have left would be which dome to use, if you have any experience with other dome sizes would be helpful.

I think I'd probably use the 28mm with the WWL-1 to keep the option of shooting both macro and wideangle on a single dive.

I was thinking about the potential advantage of hot swapping the WWL-1 out underwater but realistically how would you stow it without being prone to accidentally dinging it? Macro diopters I already swap and stow with my current rig due to their much smaller size but not sure this would work for this dome.

Aquatica also has a nice flip holder for macro lens so you can easily move them in and out. I'll have to check out that canon lens after I get the hang of my housing.

I was thinking about the potential advantage of hot swapping the WWL-1 out underwater but realistically how would you stow it without being prone to accidentally dinging it? Macro diopters I already swap and stow with my current rig due to their much smaller size but not sure this would work for this dome.

I'm currently using an RX100 with an Inon UWL-100 with the dome, which is half the weight of the WWL-1 (give or take) but still a big, bulky bit of glass. Mounting it on a bayonet mount lens holder is still a feasible option, though you need to be a bit careful when getting in close in that case. You could always slip a neoprene cover on if you're worried, slips off easily. A hard cap is also available (prone to loss, i'd think) as is a bouyancy collar.

Aquatica also has a nice flip holder for macro lens so you can easily move them in and out.

My experience with the Nauticam flip adapter is that it increases vignetting which is why I'm reluctant to touch these in general. If the Aquatica one doesn't cause this I would be more inclined to take a look.

I'm currently using an RX100 with an Inon UWL-100 with the dome, which is half the weight of the WWL-1 (give or take) but still a big, bulky bit of glass. Mounting it on a bayonet mount lens holder is still a feasible option, though you need to be a bit careful when getting in close in that case. You could always slip a neoprene cover on if you're worried, slips off easily. A hard cap is also available (prone to loss, i'd think) as is a bouyancy collar.

I guess this would work. My other concern about using the WWL-1 is that since its a wet lens setup, split shots would be difficult due to water drops between the port and the wet lens, just something else to think about. I guess its a trade off for hot swapping flexibility.

My experience with the Nauticam flip adapter is that it increases vignetting which is why I'm reluctant to touch these in general. If the Aquatica one doesn't cause this I would be more inclined to take a look.

Well I've got one ordered for my 6500 setup so when I get a chance to use it I'll let you know.

Did some homework regarding using a wet lens dome like the Nauticam WWL-1 or Fantasea UWL-09F with the 28mm, seems there isn't an appropriate Aquatica port for the Sony 28mm to sit flush against to make this option really viable. If I'm wrong would appreciate someone letting me know, but I'll likely be going for the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye option with Metabones IV once budget permits.

Well I've got one ordered for my 6500 setup so when I get a chance to use it I'll let you know.
I tried the A7RII + Sony 90mm with my +10 diopter and there was no vignetting so I think using the flip adapter should still not have any significant vignetting. My experience with the RX100 was usually with the 28mm end of the focal length so I guess that was the key difference.

I also took delivery of my system last week in the macro configuration and am really excited to take it out for a spin soon!
IMG_20170410_223831.jpg

Back
Top Bottom