Sony A6500 Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to do a serious upgrade to my camera setup in the next few months and am very interested in the A6500. I've read all the comparisons with the A6300, and for me, the image stabilization is worth it, so that's not what I was looking for.

What I am interested in is if anyone has taken the camera out to check its capabilities? I'm guessing that by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, the housing I'm interested in will be available as I haven't seen much into on the housings yet.

Not yet, but I'm waiting for the Aquatica housing, supposedly Aquatica had an advanced version of the camera and they expect it to be out in the next several weeks, but I haven't gotten any confirmation out of Aquatica officially about that. I want their housing as I'm really interested in the spare battery feature where they include extra power in the housing, the vacum check system and the ability to use wired ikelite strobes, so that I'm not burning battery for my strobes either.. It really looks super promising...

you dont need ibis if you use sony OSS lenses. You dont need a touchscreen underwater - i would think about the A6300 and spend the money on glass

I think you mean IS not ibis? Unsure. Aquatica just formerly announced the housing for the 6500 and it looks great, supposedly shipping in april!

you dont need ibis if you use sony OSS lenses. You dont need a touchscreen underwater - i would think about the A6300 and spend the money on glass

I considered this aspect, but because I plan on using the camera on land as well as underwater, the a6500 appealed to me more than the a6300. Apparently the IBIS with an OSS lens does improve the stabilization a bit over just the OSS lens alone, but it's virtually unnoticeable to most folks.

I actually just ordered the camera and lenses today, along with a pair of strobes, but I'll probably wait closer to the Scuba Show in Long Beach in May to finalize my setup with the housing, port, arms, etc.

thank you for the Acronym def, that makes tons of sense. I actually think IBIS is valuable because it helps all lens's and therefore you can get glass that is just great glass and not worry aobut the lens having some stabilization.

IBIS is a great feature. You can use all kind of old glass on the Sony a6500 with an adapter (minolta rokkor, helios, Zeiss, Leica, Canon FD) and its stabilized. I use the Nauticam housing for my A6300 and i'm very happy with it. They also have a Nikonos adapter so you could use the lovely underwater nikonos glass :wink:

Finally got everything I needed (for now) and put together my new Sony A6500-based setup.

Let me know if you have thoughts on settings. I got notification my system should ship this week!

Back
Top Bottom