Sonoma Coast Divesite Closure Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisheater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This just in from the Superintendent of Russian River District of the State Parks & Recreation Dept.:

All access to Ft. Ross is closed Monday through Thursday. You cannot get past the gate near Highway One.

At Gerstle Cove, all facilities, including restrooms, changing rooms, shower and trash cans are closed/removed. We will have access to the area, "for now".  If there are problems with urination, defecation &/or trash (not to mention vandalism), all access will be shut down.

So. We must all be great stewards of OUR coastal parks. That means not only packing out our own trash, but packing out ALL the trash. It also means not only treating the parks with respect, but insisting that others do as well. It will only take a few a-holes to get these areas closed to all.   

These closures are to last until June 30, 2010.  However, none of us should count on them changing then. That date is simply the end of the fiscal year. Unless the Park & Rec budget is restored next year, there will be more of the same. However, the governor is talking about even deeper cuts to the Park & Rec Dept. for next year. 

Excellent approach....it really is up to us to keep this access open if we want it bad enough. I had heard about Ft. Ross in the news but didn't realize Gerstle was affected as well.

That really is a bummer about Gerstle! The restrooms and showers were really nice to have.

I think this is a recipe for disaster. "We" won't be the problem, but to basically abandon the parks and facilities and expect the parks to be "self maintained" is very short sighted. I know rangers who are in disbelief about this decision that was made at the top of the agency. State parks is desperate for some leadership. Has there been any attempt to mobilize the huge network of volunteers and the foundation? I am willing to step up and give some of my time and park operations experience to help the cause.

Fight State Parks Closures

Salt Point conditions page now says that day use parking will be closed also at Gerstle, along with the restrooms, etc. That would really make scuba diving there impractical, if you had to gear up way up in the camping lot, or on the highway.

Last edited:
Well. so much for government of the people. I thought state land belonged to all of us. Apparently not when THEY decide they can take it out from under us whenever they want. Sounds like a blatant violation of the state constitution.
Somebody needs to remind them that they can cut services and staff but state land belongs to all of us and they have no right closing off access.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom