Somewhere like Bonne Terre that's not Bonne Terre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KDAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure what all of the hate against Bonne Terre is. Sure it is pricy and they have their own rules that not everyone understands but it is some great diving, especially in the middle of the winter when it is cold and snowing and you are diving in 54 degree water.

I have done it several times and the trails keep getting better and I will go back when I have the opportunity.

Instead of listening to all of the negative posts, many from people who haven't even been there, give it a try and see for yourself.

From all of the posts of similar places - none - your choices are limited.

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
If in Arizona you can do Lake Peasant. It has a nice abandoned dam in the lake. In the 90s a new dam was made down stream and the old lake was enlarged. The old dam had a slice cut out of it so if the water were to ever get low enough there would still be a channel for it. It takes a boat to get out there. Couple boats on the lake do dive charters from time to time.

This is what it was like just before the cut the old dam and finished filling the lake
site93-300x178.jpg

Depending on time of year and how the summer water usage has been going the top of the old dam ranges from 30-70 feet. The bottom, just call it 200+ most of the year.

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure what all of the hate against Bonne Terre is. Sure it is pricy and they have their own rules that not everyone understands but it is some great diving, especially in the middle of the winter when it is cold and snowing and you are diving in 54 degree water.

I have done it several times and the trails keep getting better and I will go back when I have the opportunity.

Instead of listening to all of the negative posts, many from people who haven't even been there, give it a try and see for yourself.

From all of the posts of similar places - none - your choices are limited.

I second this! I've only done three dives at Bonne Terre, but it was really neat and different from any other diving experiences I've had. If you go in with the right mindset (i.e. accepting the prices and rules for what they are), it is really enjoyable.

Protondecay123

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I second this! I've only done three dives at Bonne Terre, but it was really neat and different from any other diving experiences I've had. If you go in with the right mindset (i.e. accepting the prices and rules for what they are), it is really enjoyable.
I've enjoyed my diving at Bonne Terre. Sure it has it's downsides with the pricing. I think the rules start making more sense especially once you do a couple of dives there. It's easy to see that someone could become seriously lost in there. Also there are a few areas that have overhead for a good distance which if someone were to get panicked could lead to a bad situation. Having been there a time or two a year over the past 3 years the variety of the "trails" has maintained my interest. Try it and see if you like it. The water is cold at about 57 degrees. I would recommend a 7 mm or dive it dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom