Something's 'afoot'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could say we are just trying to get 'a leg up' on the rest of the country...

talk about putting your foot in your mouth - sheeshhh.....

I recall reading that there had been a commercial boating accident where a number of people drowned and were not recovered. Speculation was that these are the various bodies now showing up.

I can't put my finger on the specific articles but will take a look see for details...

Ok.. Here's what I had read. As usual, I got a few of the details wrong...
------------
May 28th,

Four severed right feet that have washed ashore along the B.C. coast might belong to the victims of a February 2005 plane crash, according to family members who are awaiting DNA test results.

Kirsten Kearsley Stevens lost her husband Dave after a float plane carrying him and four others -- Arnie Feast, Fabian Bedard, and brothers Doug and Trevor DeCock -- crashed near Quadra Island, about 250 kilometres northwest of Vancouver.

"My husband was wearing a floater coat so his body washed up," said Stevens.

The bodies of the remaining four victims have never been found despite an extensive private search by family members.

Last August, two feet encased in shoes washed up on Gabriola and Jedediah islands, just south of Quadra in the Strait of Georgia. And in February, another severed foot was found on nearby Valdes Island.

On Thursday, Richmond RCMP sent a team of investigators to Kirkland Island in the mouth of the Fraser River after a person walking there reported finding a foot -- the fourth. All were right feet.

"We called (police) after the first foot turned up and second. No one came to collect DNA," said Stevens. "When the four men were declared missing at that time, DNA should have been taken but it wasn't."

Stevens said the shoes on the first two feet were sneakers and one of the descriptions matches what a crash victim was wearing when the plane went down.

She said Doug DeCock wore a size 12 shoe, which matches one of the feet. "It seems really clear to us and we know the way the current runs -- it's highly possible," she said. "It's not very nice to think that they've been dragged apart but at least it would say, 'yes they were there and here's something.' I think everybody would be grateful to just have something."

The sister of the pilot on the fatal flight says she's provided DNA to see if any of the remains belong to her brother, 52-year-old Arnie Feast.

Sally Feast said that every time another foot washes ashore, it just reminds her of the tragic accident.

"Could it be possible? Maybe? You never know... You just have to live with it."

As to why feet are the only body parts mysteriously washing up on the west coast, B.C.'s chief coroner said there could be a number of variables.

"When a body ends up in a body of water, there's a process of natural decomposition," said Terry Smith.

Water temperatures, ocean currents, tides, and even the type of clothing worn on a body part could be a clue.

All four severed feet were in shoes when they were discovered.

-- Canwest News Service

----
And after all that I actually 'read' the original article which says pretty much the same thing..
Sigh...:embarass:

Last edited:
Yeah, but after 3 years in the water, do you really think there would be any "foot" left...

As well...the plane crash only accounts for 4 people..not five, as 5 rights, and one left, would make...

Heard of two left feet...but two right?

Maybe the Japanese disasters?

I heard on CNN a couple of hours ago that the latest foot is not human but had a shoe on it!?

Sixth found ‘foot’ is animal paw

Updated: June 19, 2008 at 03:24 PM CDT

VANCOUVER -- The British Columbia Coroner's Service says a prankster is responsible for a sixth foot that apparently washed ashore on the south coast of the province.

The latest foot was discovered Wednesday, when a woman walking along a beach near Campbell River, B.C., on Vancouver Island said she spotted some bones protruding from a size 10 black Adidas running shoe.

Five other feet have been found in the Vancouver area since last August, including four right feet and a left foot.

But the coroner's service says a forensic pathologist and anthropologist have examined the latest foot and it's actually an animal paw that was inserted into the shoe, along with a sock packed with dried seaweed.

The coroner's service called the hoax reprehensible and disrespectful to the families of missing people.

The service says the hoax fueled inappropriate speculation and wasted valuable time and resources that could have been spent on the main investigations.

The Canadian Press

An animal paw. I'm going to Campbell River this weekend and I was a bit worried that I'd find the rest of him. I'll be keeping a close eye on my feet all the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom