Something under $100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgrainger

New
Reaction score
I'm going to be going to Cuba in a few weeks and thought it would be nice to get an underwater camera. Saw the Kodak disposable camera but was told the shutter button would not release below 27 feet.

After doing a little research I have found the Goldline Suprema Super Sport and the Ikelite Aquashot 3.

I'm leaning more towards the Ikelite right now as it will work with Kodak and Fuji disposable cameras.

Is there any other camera I should consider? What is the opinion on the Ikelite Aquashot 3? It has been almost 20 years since I've used a SLR camera so I just want to stick to point and click for now. I'm only going to be using this in the Carribean.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
:confused:

Hi! I used the older model of the aquashot with a fuji disposable camera. It lasted a few years before it finally flooded. I was really happy with the closeup shots and some wall shots, when I used the strobe. They are great vacation memories, but certainly not professional quality.

The posted picture is from Little Cayman. If you want easy and cheap, the Aquashot is probably a good selection for you!!

sapphire

sapphire once bubbled...
Hi! I used the older model of the aquashot with a fuji disposable camera. It lasted a few years before it finally flooded. I was really happy with the closeup shots and some wall shots, when I used the strobe. They are great vacation memories, but certainly not professional quality.

The posted picture is from Little Cayman. If you want easy and cheap, the Aquashot is probably a good selection for you!!

sapphire

Thanks for the reply sapphire. The picture is quite awesome. Is the strobe something that comes with the camera? I was wondering if I was going to need some extra light if I'm diving in 50 feet vis at 60 feet deep.

dgrainger once bubbled...

Thanks for the reply sapphire. The picture is quite awesome. Is the strobe something that comes with the camera? I was wondering if I was going to need some extra light if I'm diving in 50 feet vis at 60 feet deep.

I purchased the Aquashot in a "kit", that came with a soft padded case, the fixed strobe, a "macro" lens, and a framer for macro shots. I know it was over $100, but less than $200. BUT that was about 6-7 years ago -- I have no idea what something comparable costs today.

I did take some shots without a strobe, but I was much happier with the shots using it. A few times it washed out the subject if I was too close, as it was on a fixed arm and not adjustable. If you did not use the strobe, it would rely on the disposable camera's built in flash, which often caused "backscatter" in the photos.

sapphire

sapphire once bubbled...

I purchased the Aquashot in a "kit", that came with a soft padded case, the fixed strobe, a "macro" lens, and a framer for macro shots. I know it was over $100, but less than $200. BUT that was about 6-7 years ago -- I have no idea what something comparable costs today.

I did take some shots without a strobe, but I was much happier with the shots using it. A few times it washed out the subject if I was too close, as it was on a fixed arm and not adjustable. If you did not use the strobe, it would rely on the disposable camera's built in flash, which often caused "backscatter" in the photos.

sapphire

Thanks again sapphire. You have been extremely helpful. I'm going to go out shopping sometime this week and see if they have the kit. Once I'm at the dive site I probably won't be able to change the setup.

Don't forget eBay. I sold the Aquashot II enitre kit last year for about $55. You might also look for a Sea & Sea MX-5 or even an MX-10 to start.
TedJ

TedJ once bubbled...
Don't forget eBay. I sold the Aquashot II enitre kit last year for about $55. You might also look for a Sea & Sea MX-5 or even an MX-10 to start.
TedJ
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked on eBay and didn't find much. There was an AquaShot II and a Canon SureShot A1. I'd rather get a new camera. I'd hate to find out that the o-rings on the used camera fail while I'm on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom