Something To Think About! Not Diving But Close

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattroz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
as you can see i am a new member to this forum and haven't even started my open water. but i can offer some advice that i have learnt this passed week.

unfortunately it took the death of a 20 year old firefighter who was a great friend of mine.

James Ratcliffe, 20, died on monday night while practicing boat manoevers with other firefighters. In a particularily sharp turn, james fell off the boat and his head was struck by the prop and he was killed almost instantly.

my point here is that even in calm seemingly innocent waters accidents can happen and although i don't have many dive boat experiences (two resort dives) i have learnt that it is very important to make sure you sit down and keep your balance until the boat has stopped at the dive site.

this isn't a post to make everyone feel bad and for you to offer your condolonces, i'm dealing with my stuff and thats ok. i just don't want to see anyone else go this way.

please be careful

Thank you for sharing the incident.

Condolences to family and friends of James.

paolo

mattroz:
as you can see i am a new member to this forum and haven't even started my open water. but i can offer some advice that i have learnt this passed week.

unfortunately it took the death of a 20 year old firefighter who was a greath friend of mine.

James Ratcliffe, 20, died on monday night while practicing boat manoevers with other firefighters. In a particularily sharp turn, james fell off the boat and his head was struck by the prop and he was killed almost instantly.

my point here is that even in calm seemingly innocent waters accidents can happen and although i don't have many dive boat experiences (two resort dives) i have learnt that it is very important to make sure you sit down and keep your balance until the boat has stopped at the dive site.

this isn't a post to make everyone feel bad and for you to offer your condolonces, i'm dealing with my stuff and thats ok. i just don't want to see anyone else go this way.

please be careful

My condolences as well. A sad and unfortunate lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom