someone lost an ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
People still do it, but it was more common in the past for people to do deep dives on air. 190' on air isn't all that unusual (based on what I've read).

more common in the past i agree but that depth on air is the realm of the unnecessary risk taker and narc junkie. anything past 160' and im adding helium to the equation:)

SteveFass:
190' on air - he implied it was not a fun dive but a training dive. Does that make sense?

Steve,

During training for trimix, we went to 185 on air, and did a series of exercises. The next day we went to 185 on mix, and did the same series of exercises.

The difference in my perception and responses was so remarkable that it convinced me forever of the value of the proper mix at depth!!! :D

SteveFass:
What do you think of this?
I met a guy over the weekend at Dutch Springs. After getting friendly, he told me that he permanently lost the use of one ear DUE TO THE BENDS (sounded like this all happened several years ago). It happened on an air dive to 190 feet while doing tech training (didn't get specifics). Afterword he thought the dive went well. No skin rashes, no aches, nada except for a hearing problem. And no blood in the ear.

Weeks after the dive he went to the doctor to ask about his hearing. The doc (don't know if it was a dive doc) told him he lost hearing in the ear to the bends.

Does this make sense to you? (cause it don't to me). Think he left out big parts of the story? All I can vouch for is he truly was hard of hearing and he had knowledge of tech diving. I mentioned it to a friend and we're both dubious this can happen.

Described as above, and analyzing only a story, its very unlikely it was DCS, which means some for of bends. Its more likely to be round window rupture or a perilymph fistula were being completely asymptomatic or having hearing loss can occur with or without vertigo. Most cases of inner ear bends have severe vertigo. Its also very unlikely he suffered an AGE which selectively made him only deaf.

Strictly speaking, PLF is a barotrauma, and thus is a form of DCI, which includes DCS and barotrauma injuries from diving.

Hello readers:

I was away last week on vacation. Now reading this posting does not indicate DCS to me. As “Saturation” indicates, this appears to be a case of inner ear barotrauma. These generally arise in the diving population from an overly aggressive attempt to clear the ears (blocked Eustachian tube).

When diving, it is better to adjust one’s depth in an attempt to unblock the ears as contrasted with a very strenuous Valsalva maneuver.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom