Some WetSuit / RashGuard questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naberius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys & gals.

I'm about to start my Scuba Diving class soon (26th of this month) and I need to get a wetsuit. I'm really new to the whole scuba diving, equipment feel. I've done some extensive research, as I'd really like to scuba dive for a hobby.

Now, I've purchased a snorkel, diving mask, and fins from my local scuba diving shop and I paid about $355.00 for it all. Now my shop told me that I got a great deal and I came home and did some digging myself. And apparently some items I bought could have been paid for a lot less online, for example these fins I was charged $82.00 for in shop and online they are $30.00 ScubaPro Jet Sport Full Foot Fins 25.883.100 with reviews at scuba.com

well and some other items that were a lot less online :/. I don't want to say I do not support my local scuba diving shop, actually I wanna go back and buy more stuff. But now I'm sorta skeptical about shopping there again and well not getting a fair deal.

Regardless, the reason why I came here is to ask about WetSuits and RashGuards.

RashGuards are worn under wetsuits to prevent any damages to the skin right? I'm looking on Amazon.com to do some purchases and I would like some advices on these items.

Me: Male, 23 years old, 168lbs, 5' 9" waist 32-33. Most of my clothing I wear are sized medium, but since I've never been in a wetsuit, I'm not sure how the sizes work.

Wetsuit of interest: O'Neill Wetsuits Reactor 3/2mm Full Suit : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

The Black/Pacific/Graphtron is priced at $87.00 and 2/3mm would be fine if diving in warm waters right? (I'm from Florida, sometimes in winter the water does get below 60 degrees)

I'm also interested in getting these rash guards to wear underneath the wetsuit.

RashGuard Shirt of interest: O'Neill Basic Skins Long Sleeve Crew Surf Shirt : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

For my size, would xx-large be the comfortable size? For anyone who might be in my area and have experience with rashguard shirts?

Rashguard Shorts of Interest: O'Neill Hammer Short (Black) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

Based on some reviews on Amazon.com people who are usually mediums get a size larger.

What do you guys think? Can I get some feedback on the products and or my decisions to shop online instead of at my local scuba shop?

A few quick thoughts. Rash guards are not needed under a wetsuit. Some people do like them for various reasons but I only use one either for snorkeling or for in between dives to keep the sun off me. In the tropics I wear my 3mm suit next to my skin and I'd say most other divers do also. Rash guards are designed to fit tight. Different brands fit differently. They sell rash guards at lots of general sports shops not just dive shops. I would try one on. I suspect you need medium or large but not XL.

I am not familiar with that 3/2 suit. Everyone tolerates cold differently but I suspect that suit is only good for most people down to 72 or so. For some they won't want to be in it much below 76. My wife would be cold in it below 80. It is not enough for 60 degree water. Sorry but to cover a large range of different temps you will need different suits.

Good luck with your diving.

Last edited:
Based on the prices for your mask, snorkel, and fins I would really consider shopping and possibly doing your cert somewhere else. IMO the LDS took advantage of you. $355 for the above stuff is a little on the high side especially with closed heel fins. Typically $100 for a mask will get you a decent one, 150-170 will get you a top line pair of fins, and I wouldn't spend anymore than $40 on a snorkel because you will find out after your certified, you won't use it a whole heck of a lot. A LDS should not be doing that to their future customers. On the wetsuit side, I've never worn a rashguard underneath my wetsuit. I'm in the midwest and dive a 5mm suit during the summer and don't use anything under it. I chose a 5mm because up here in the winters it gets downright cold and summers its realatively warm so I went for a mid-line thickness suit.

Back
Top Bottom