Some video fun...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No mac for me :( Movie maker isn't that bad (oh who's kidding who), once you learn it but my cheap laptop is glitchy. I can't tell if it's from processing HD video or just the program. Weird stuff always happens (like the sound in the video that goes off beat the longer it's played) and I'm becoming pretty good at unconventional solutions. On that video I'm currently looping the same short riff to get a longer track.

My hobby now involves looking for unique places to dive, building gear, diving, editing video and (I hope) adding original scoring. No wonder my wife complains :idk:

DD,
It's not salt. It's a fine particlulate (silt/organic matter) that is suspended in the water column and I suspect is being stratified by temperature or oxygenation. It slowly settles. I've also dived through dense clouds of copepods in the same lake at different times of the year. The darker material is particularly weird and looks just like the cyanobacteria that mats parts of the substrate. If you descend even a foot or two into it you are in a complete blackout. I tried to dive through it (and I have done some funky low vis dives) but had to bail from the complete absence of vision.

I am a Mac user, and just discovered iMovie. I'm currently playing around with it to see what I can do. I'm doing it on a different video so that I can get better then work on the trans-Pacific flight of helicopters.

SeaRat

I am a Mac user, and just discovered iMovie. I'm currently playing around with it to see what I can do.

SeaRat,

I use iMovie for the occasional simple movie of my kids for my parents. Everything I've attempted (e.g., titles, subtitles or captions, transitions, soundtracks, etc.) has been straightforward and intuitive.

I upload HD video from a Sony camcorder into my venerable PowerBook (!!) using a FireWire cable. Music is imported from my iTunes library. Additional music/soundtracks are sometimes captured using QuickTime and then imported. Everything is easily done.

My ancient PowerBook takes a bit of time generating the final output once the editing has been done, but I have no complaints whatsoever. (If my PowerBook ever stops working, I'll purchase a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, but there's no indication that this old computer will ever run out of gas!)

Good luck with your video project.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

neat gear, kind of agree with the idea of webbing over rope. My concern is that the rope will concentrate the weight of the gear on land into a very narrow strip, cutting off circulation. Also, I see that you are using older line, aren't you worried about the rope sawing through your suit over repeated use?

The video certainly looked good, even if the dive site was not as appealing as some of the other places you've shown.

For this rig I'm going for an early DIY pioneer era look; something you might come across in an old boathouse along with a plywood backboard, seatbelt webbing and bent wire tank bands and say wtf? Rude a mentory...

The rig itself is pretty comfortable and I don't feel it digging in, though I am wearing a thick DS. Went out yesterday and again today to do some more tweaking with weights etc... That lake is pretty boring but it's close for test dives. Yesterdays dive, which I thought would be good (because the lake is supposed to be oligotrophic), turned out to be a bust for poor vis. Today I'll look for cars in my favorite mudhole.

Here's the finished video. I opted out of doing my own soundtrack for now as the quality from my kids piano just isn't up to snuff. I'm looking into some online sites for soundboards etc... for the future:

[video=youtube;YGp5R-4m3Rw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGp5R-4m3Rw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom