Some thoughts for assembling my first regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not aware of a computer that will let user error during the dive make it not let you see depth.
Skip the console. They are a hassle and not convenient
I've not used a console depth gauge for 20 years.
I guess I've just been too used to always having one with the rental gear I've used.

Get the Apeks.
Can't go wrong with the Apeks I have been diving them for years with no issues my Scuba Pro and Aqua Lung regs sit on the self now
Is there a specific reason you'd pick Apeks over, for example, Scubapro?

Thank you all very much for your input :)

The shops I’ve frequented were Aqualung/Apeks. Plus I knew a lot of people with the Apeks.

Been diving Apeks for at least 20 years. Love it. It's been under the ice a couple of times and never had an issue. Ended up getting my son an Apeks setup as well.

If you are worried about availability of spare parts, then only Scubapro did proof to make them available for decades. In my family we have a number of SP MK5+109, and all parts are still readily available, with upgraded quality and performance, 50 years after these regs were built.
Going to your specific case I suggest a sealed diaphragm first stage: MK17EVO.
And two identical high performance second stages (G260), one with a longer hose (the one you plan to donate to your buddy).
In case you need to use your second air source you and your buddy are already in trouble: you do not want to rely on a sub-par qualty reg on such situations...
I did always think that an octopus (a cheap, low quality, bad performances yellow second stage) is a very bad idea, made popular just by the need of cost reduction for shops providing rental equipment.
I really do not understand how people purchasing regs for their own usage can accept such a compromise on their safety...
Furthermore, when you will be ready for employing a more serious tank system (in order, a 15 liters steel with two posts, a compact manifolded back-mounted twin tank, or a pair of independent side-mounted tanks) you will just need to purchase a 2nd MK17EVO.

Look at the SP MK19/G260....I don't think you would go wrong with Mk17/19/G600/G260 or the Apeks...I use the ScubaPro in case I need support when traveling...SP seems to be everywhere

I guess I've just been too used to always having one with the rental gear I've used.

Is there a specific reason you'd pick Apeks over, for example, Scubapro?

Thank you all very much for your input :)

Sorry for the delayed response I've been out of town. I use an Apeks XTX50 and feel it breathes as good or better than any SP reg I have used. The second reason is I can get better pricing on Apeks than SP including parts and servicing.

You probably did it already, but you should check what your favourite local dealer services (for convenience).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom