Some thoughts for assembling my first regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aura

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which specific things to buy for my first regulator set. I will be using it for cold water diving and would prefer to get something that I'll be able to keep using once I'm no longer a beginner. I went by one of the local dive stores today and I'm not really sure what to think of the things he told me.

My thoughts as far as the actual regulators go, I was thinking of getting one of the following:

Apeks DST 1st stage, and XTX50 primary second stage (XTX40 as octo)

or

Scubapro MK25 1st stage, and S600 primary second (probably R195 octo)

Both options are pretty much the same price here, and most of the dive shops around here sell and service them. However, the guy in the dive shop I visited today directly advised me against buying Apeks, since according to him they're impossible to get spare parts for and just a hassle in general. I've mostly heard praise for Apeks regulators in the past, so I'm a bit surprised at this, and I'm going to ask another dive shop tomorrow if they're under the same impression.

Another thing is, the dive store man told me to not bother getting a console with both manometer and depth gauge, since the computer has depth. I'm just not sure if I want to trust my relatively cheap dive computer 100% for every function it has in case it stops working, or if I mess it up somehow through simple user error. At the other hand, buying a backup computer seems a bit much at this point for me. I don't know though, what are your thoughts on this?

I don't like scubapro policies but there equipment is top notch.

You really can't go wrong with either.

I'm just not sure if I want to trust my relatively cheap dive computer 100% for every function it has in case it stops working,
For recreational use (appropriate for an inexpensive computer), you should be within NDL at all times. So if it fails, dives over and surface... pretty much a non issue. If you are going on a multi-dive trip like a live aboard, an analogue depth gauge won't help (no good tracking of previous nitrogen loading), so you would probably want a backup computer anyway. And I'm not aware of a computer that will let user error during the dive make it not let you see depth. So as much as I distrust dive shops in general, sounds like the dive store guy gave you good advice in that regard.

Respectfully,

James

If its your main single tank regulator for cold water I would skip pistons, like MK25 and stay with a diaphragm reg.

Personally I dive piston scubapros on my stages in cold water down to 4c but I use diaphragm MK17 on the backgas.

Apekses were a goto reg for cold water at least 7 years ago when we were getting a set for my wife.
If for any reasons you want to get scubapro I would go for a diaphragm MK17 or 19. S600 is fine make sure it has the metal barrel which it should if its recent.

Skip the console. They are a hassle and not convenient. Get a compass you can wear on the left hand and you seem to have a computer. Like others said if it breaks the dive is over , you do not have deco obligations and can surface and hold a safety stop. You can gauge your accent rate without a computer and you can even roughly estimate the depth of your stop by looking at the surface if its totally not murky or dark.

spare parts availability is straightforward in europe for apeks and not much different than for scubapro. depth gauges are pretty much obsolete these days because you then need a backup timing device. easier to get a 2nd cheap dive computer if desired.

Get the Apeks. I’ve had them down to 38F without any issues.

I can't imagine getting parts for Apeks in Europe being a problem. I am in Canada and find getting Apeks parts from Poland easier, faster and cheaper than getting them here.

Pretty much what has been said here already. Either of those regs will outlast you if they're looked after. Personally I find the Mk25 a bit bulky for single tank diving and prefer the Mk17.

I've not used a console depth gauge for 20 years. Even cheap computers are reliable enough for pretty much any level of rec diving. When/if you move into tech diving, you'll want to spend up on a decent one though.

Can't go wrong with the Apeks I have been diving them for years with no issues my Scuba Pro and Aqua Lung regs sit on the self now.. The parts should not be an issue and the shop is probably pushing the SP because the more they sell the better the price point for them.

Back
Top Bottom