Some thoughts about diving alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's actually a certification for Solo Diver? Holy crap, what's next, a certification to wear split fins? Phucking ludacrous.

I meet people constantly who have 20 differt C-Card and they are morons in the water.

Anyway, Solo vs. Buddy has no bearing on this. Blanket statements like "you're an idiot if...." is just stupid. For the 5th time this week: What works for you doesn't mean it's the only way. It doesn't even mean it's the best way.

Not so bad, Cap'n, the Solo Class makes you think about a lot of things one tends to take for granted. For instance, I know I ignored the stuff in OW about blowing hoses. Taking the Solo class reiterated it and it came in handy. Just "round the world, think of this because you won't have a buddy". It made (makes) me think a lot more in keeping situational awareness, and doubly making sure I have backup-backups. :)

Besides, in today's litigious society, ops are more likely to let you dive solo when you have a cert - it covers their butt.

An amazing man, Wes Skiles, died diving this week, and he died alone. No matter what you think about the decision to be alone where and when he was . . . one thing is true about his death, which is that no one will ever know exactly how it happened. There may be some information to be gained from his gear, but there may not be. An autopsy may or may not reveal anything useful.

His family and his friends, and people who didn't know him but loved him anyway, may never know exactly how and why he died. They may always think that, if someone had just been with him, he might have survived whatever the issue was.

A couple of years back, Kawika Chetron died . . . alone. He was another extraordinarily talented photographer and writer. No one knows what happened to him, because his body was never recovered. Maybe a companion or buddy could have helped; maybe not.

But the one thing you can say when someone does have a buddy on a fatal dive, as we could say about Richard Mork's death -- If a buddy was there, and did all he could, then we know that what could have been done was done. Otherwise, the torment is the thought that something could have been done, and wasn't.

I don't want my family tortured with that.
repost of the original question, because ...

Solo Cert ...
being equated to having a cert for diving splt fins??

I bet you could learn a lot of good info with a knowledgeable instructor
the Solo Class makes you think about a lot of things one tends to take for granted
... It made (makes) me think a lot more in keeping situational awareness, and doubly making sure I have backup-backups
... much like Rescue :)

Solo Cert ...
being equated to having a cert for diving splt fins??

I bet you could learn a lot of good info with a knowledgeable instructor
... much like Rescue :)

Darn, got the Rescue but there's a cert for split fins? Where do I sign up? :rofl3:

:kiss2:

Good point, DB, we are off topic!

I'm seeing roughly two camps here . . . those that think they could somehow control or influence the feelings of their family members, and those that believe it's about acceptance and that the family has to deal with it in their own way.

As these two opposing 'camps' have their basis in beliefs, there will be no resolution because it takes a Significant Emotional Event to make people even question, much less change, a belief.

I would say that communication by the Solo Diver, of the Solo Diver's attitude and thoughts of what they are doing, would probably go furtherest in helping others deal with any unfortunate outcome.

Wow, communication . . . who'd a 'thunk' it? :popcorn:

A buddy for the sole purpose of being an eyewitness to an event that is so remote is just kind of silly IMO. Traveling our nation's interstate highways is more dangerous than diving yet it is nevertheless accomplished alone by most of us a large percentage of the time. I just don't get the focus of the subject matter. I apologize for any disrespect...

Glad I got all the certifications I have 15'ish years ago, before everyone and their brother started trying to make money on teaching dumb certifications.

But that's another topic.
Back on this topic, I just asked my wife this scenario. If I died diving this weekend, would she feel better, worse, or same if I died while a buddy was present. She said, "What do I care, either way I'll have to mow the lawn now." Nice wife.

This is a subject that interests me greatly. I was reading up on the posts, but saw how long they went on for, and just don't have that amount of time right at the moment, so I thought I'd just chime in with my 2 cents...

We all know that diving has its risks. As divers, we accept that as a consequence of doing what we love to do. The buddy system has the 'potential' to mitigate those risks. This depends largely on the skill and the temperment of the buddy you have. I have on a number of occasions had a buddy that just went off doing his own thing without a second thought, thus making me effectively solo diving by proxy. It is my personal opinion that you should never take on a dive that you do not feel you are skilled enough to solve a vast majority of the problems you may encounter by yourself. If your buddy sees what is going on, that only works in your favour, but you cannot 100% rely on it.

On the flip side of that coin is the diver that actively chooses to go solo. To this, I can only say that we all know the risks of diving and it is a very personal decision on whether we take that additional risk and to what extent. We all know what will happen is the s*it hits the fan and there is noone in sight to help. To that end, I'd say that 1) I've known a number of divers to do this from time to time whether they admit it or not regardless of their training level, myself included. 2) If you are to attempt it in any form, be sure you understand those risks and be prepared for the consequences and be damned sure you know what you're doing all around.

I've heard all the excuses when people try to justify what they did, while still preaching the buddy system, they could see my bubbles from shore, etc, but it don't amount to a hill of beans. You are at additional risk.

SDI offers a solo diving certification, which gives the necessary skills to help deal with this as well as require fully redundant gear like a Tek diver. I'd suggest following this course if this is something you want to pursue. At least you will be more prepared.

This is just a recent observation I made and is loosely related to the above: I recently went on a dive with a guy that got certified and then never had a buddy again until me years later. (I wanted to do a dive in Maine, but it was also at his girlfrineds urging to talk some sense into him). I found him to be a duality of experience and complete lack thereof. Any form of hand signals were completely out (we called the dive because he didn't understand what I was telling him and just thought there was a problem), but at the same time he was very good at navigation and buoyancy control. His equipment was a wreck (didn't know any better?), but he seemed to know all about how to use it properly and efficiently. I think this is one of the many dangers if a person gets too out of touch diving with others.

I see lots of comments about how it would not/shouldn't make any difference to the family knowing about what happened

I don't see Lynne's post as just about having a witness to what happened, it's about knowing that someone was there and did what could be done to help them ....

"If a buddy was there, and did all he could, then we know that what could have been done was done"

That's why I reposted her post

Last edited:
It might actually be kinder to the family to have no information about our diving death. I know it would be better to get the body, but might it be easier for the family to know simply that the diver assumed a certain level of risk to dive alone and now they are dead?

I'm not sure it would bring my family comfort to know that I was diving with a friend and he provides a story (that may well be true) but still doesn't paint a clear story and seems to be tinged with questionable "facts" that convienently exonerate the buddy. Might these feelings of distrust of the dive buddy cause the pain and doubts to linger even more?

Face it, scuba diving is a somewhat dangerous activity and to engage in it, you are undergoing unnecessary risks yet you continue these activities simply because you derive selfish pleasure from them. The only way to shield your family from the possiblity of you dieing while diving is to not dive.

I say: try to be safe, try to be careful, but the fact remains that you have put your own enjoyment above the need to protect the family from emotional pain.

I need to sit down and talk to my wife and touch on some things in this post. If I wasnt aware of diving, and let's say my best friend died while diving. Would I REALLY want to know that they messed up and their lungs blew up? Or due to some malfunction or F-up on their end they drowned 80' below the surface? Or would I rather know they LOVED diving, and I can assume they died doing what they liked / loved??? I personally would rather know they died doing something they loved. Like others have said, racecar drives, mountain bikers, hikers, pilots <insert other hobby / pastimes> all could die and possibly never know exactly what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom