Some terminology issues !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's meant by bungee attachment accessory or DSS for a wrist pdc?

Also do all divers interface their pdc with a computer? I'm only gonna dive twice yearly. ..... can i avoid doing that?
If i can i won't be looking for a pdc with a easy pc interface .
Thx

What's meant by bungee attachment accessory or DSS for a wrist pdc?
Here's an example: Gauge Accessories | Wreck Diver Supply

Also do all divers interface their pdc with a computer? I'm only gonna dive twice yearly. ..... can i avoid doing that?
Thx

Yes, you can avoid downloading your dives from a PDC to your computer. But I think that it's a great way to keep a log book. Up to you...! :)

Deep Sea Supply (DSS) sells an elastomer mount that holds you dive computer or compass via bungee cord https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments. The bungee mount allows for a very easy way to put on and take off your gauges. Easy to adjust, safer that a watch-band style attachment.

Sure, I never have.

Partly because I'm too cheap to buy the interface cable. Often they're $70-100 more. Also my older dive log software doesn't support them easily. By the time I d/l, convert and upload the data, I can just type it in faster online.

I buy low-end computers since I don't do anything outside of recreational diving. The only thing to watch for is that some of the really inexpensive ones - like the Oceanic Veo 100 - only have a 10 dive log. So if you dive somewhere like Bonaire for a week, you'll have to remember to write down your dive details mid-week - otherwise it will overwrite them.

Suunto Zoop is an easy to read, air/nitrox compatible wrist computer that should be under $300. It is downloadable if you decide you want to do that. They're known to have a more conservative algorithm than some - better for new divers. I currently use their previous model - the Gekko. What works for me is that I can pick it up after not diving for a while and immediately use it without needing to refer to the manual for button sequences to perform functions etc.

For diving twice a year you may want to just rent one also. I noticed from your other thread that you're going to Bonaire. The going rate there is $13/day - $65/week. However the previously mentioned Oceanic Veo is $200 new. - in a 2 gauge console including an analog pressure gauge. And there's several other $200-300 models available. Scubatoys.com is one good source, everything they sell has a mfr's warranty.

Whatever you get make sure the battery is user serviceable. Most are but occasionally the mfr's put out one that requires dealer/factory replacement. It doesn't mean that you'll need to do it, just that your local dealer can - often while you wait.

I have a Uwatec that I stopped using (some years ago) I paid $500 for it and when the battery died a few years later they wanted a month and $150 to replace it. Most - including Uwatec - no longer do that. Some of the lower-end Mares line - esp. discontinued models that you'd get cheaply - still might. Usually it's mentioned somewhere - either in the ad or the mfr's website. If not, download the owner's manual - most are also available online.

Steve thanks for ur great post:D

Back
Top Bottom