Some shots from Curacao with new camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome!!! That flamingo tongue is so crisp, I feel like I could reach through my screen and grab it.

Fabulous. Can you give us Point-n-Shooters an explination of the differences in technique between shooting with the G10 set up and your SLR? Also, since moving to the DSLR set up have you learned anything that would have made your g10 pictures better? thanks in advance.

Fabulous. Can you give us Point-n-Shooters an explination of the differences in technique between shooting with the G10 set up and your SLR? Also, since moving to the DSLR set up have you learned anything that would have made your g10 pictures better? thanks in advance.

I've only 16 dives with the SLR rig, so take my observations with a grain of salt...

So far I've been only shooting macro, which the G7 was pretty good at.

Advantages of the SLR include being able to fill more of the frame with the subject without having to be right on top of the subject, no shutter lag (esp good for fish portraits), and being able to stop down and get more DOF.

Negatives include composing a shot on the small viewfinder is a little more difficult than on 2 inch LCD (but it wasn't as bad as I thought), the size of the rig makes some shots impossible if I can't get into position, being set up for macro when something big comes by, and just the overall worry of larger and more expensive gear.

I can't think of anything I've learned with the SLR that I could use to make better images with the G7, except maybe shoot RAW if you have it - this might help save something in post and it's never too soon to get comfortable shooting all manual

and of course, only post the good shots to Scubaboard :wink:

I checked out your flickr album. Nice photos!

What lenses were you using? I have a D80 that I like a lot.

David

I checked out your flickr album. Nice photos!

What lenses were you using? I have a D80 that I like a lot.

David

Thanks! only the Curacao gallery is the D90, and I used the Nikon 60mm macro on all but maybe one or two shots. I took the 18-105 kit lens down for one dive just to check it out but wasn't that impressed. The viz wasn't that great and I'm more of macro person so I didn't try that hard the use the 18-105.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom