Some questions for people in: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece ETC...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrRoo

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am visiting 15 countries this summer and want to dive in atleast 5 of them. I have dove in a couple of them but wanted to know where some of you would suggest I dive? I will be visiting these cities:

Portugal:
Lisbon

Spain:
Valencia
Madrid

Italy:
Rome
Venice

Croatia:
Dubrovnik
Split

Greece:
Athens
Santorini
Ios
Crete

I will also be visiting the UK, Ireland and Scotland but i assume the water is too cold? How about the Netherlands? How is the diving in Morocco? Any ideas to where you would dive in Europe would be awesome. Much appreciated.

In Croatia you will have a dive center in almost every place you are, so just pick one... Just remember that depths are usually at least 100ft (30m) and frequently more (wrecks)...

Find a center that has a wreck near-by and you'll be ok...

The same goes for Santorini and Crete. Easy to find a diving centre you can dive with.

Water in the UK as well as Netherlands is rather cold also during summer.

Mania

If you plan to visit Split than you should go to some of opposite islands(Barc,Hvar,Vis,Korcula...) where diving is really great. Dubrovnik also has great diving spots around Cavtat,15km from Dubrovnik on the south.

MrRoo:
I am visiting 15 countries this summer and want to dive in atleast 5 of them. I have dove in a couple of them but wanted to know where some of you would suggest I dive? I will be visiting these cities:

Portugal:
Lisbon

Spain:
Valencia
Madrid

Italy:
Rome
Venice

Croatia:
Dubrovnik
Split

Greece:
Athens
Santorini
Ios
Crete

I will also be visiting the UK, Ireland and Scotland but i assume the water is too cold? How about the Netherlands? How is the diving in Morocco? Any ideas to where you would dive in Europe would be awesome. Much appreciated.

In the Netherlands the water temps vary from season to season. In the summer time the water temps can get up to about 18-19C, which is ok for a 7mm wetsuit.

If you decide you want to dive in the Netherlands you are welcome to contact me and I'll be happy to arrange something for you.

R..

Well in Lisbon you dont have any dive sites, but you can go to Peniche to the Berlengas islands (Berlengas are these 3 little islands on Peniche shore) wich is about 120 Km of Lisbon , or you can go to Sesimbra and dive in the Arrabida natural reserve (this natural reserve was establish only a year ago).I prefer Berlengas islands.

Here are some links for you

Peniche: http://www.peniche.oestedigital.pt/custompages/showpage.aspx?pageid=6952db46-2107-44aa-9bad-5d81c9a1acbb&m=a21

Peniche dive centers :http://centros.forum-mergulho.com/zonas/leiria/index.htm The all the dive centers in the list only make dives in Berlengas exept Aquaoest i think

Sesimbra dive centers:http://centros.forum-mergulho.com/zonas/setubal/index.htm

If you go to Google earth you will find a better view of those locations.

Madrid is as far from the sea as you can get in spain so as a result there isn't really any diving there.
Venice, not a lot up that far north in the adriatic really.

As for Greece, Athens there isn't a lot but Crete there are loads of dive centres, same goes for santorini.

Why are you avoiding UK diving ? Theres superb diving to be had here especially if you like wrecks. Ireland and Scotland also. Would be criminal to miss some of the dives there if visiting.

Greek diving is "ok". Visibility is very good however very little fish life (most large things have long since been killed). Very restrictive laws in areas also limit what you can see.

I've heard good things about Croatia though.

croatia also has some idiotic laws but if you come during summer you'll have no problem finding dive centers...

north adriatic is shallow but has some very good/accessible wrecks (good vis. is around 6-10m) - greatest part of this diving is that it's close to central europe so people can come there quite easy...
as you go to more to the south it gets deeper but vis. greatly improves (also some very good wrecks but usually "very" deep)

btw. no big fish in adriatic either... great diversity but small in numbers (but that's why it's so blue and not like the ocean - brown)

hvulin:
north adriatic is shallow but has some very good/accessible wrecks (good vis. is around 6-10m) - greatest part of this diving is that it's close to central europe so people can come there quite easy...
as you go to more to the south it gets deeper but vis. greatly improves (also some very good wrecks but usually "very" deep)

what does shallow mean? there are some deep wrecks ideal for trimix diving in north adriatic...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom