Some questions for all you rebreather pilots...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's my understanding you've gone past the 100m mark on a revo, so I'm curious to hear how you overcome the depth restriction on the CMF...or are you just plugging in offboard O2? I've personally just handled the O2 addition manually below the depth limit on my 1ATA reg providing CMF, but eventually even that would become a problem...and of course there's the risk (I consider small, but still) of hypoxia should the diver cease manual addition w/o having either functioning CMF or a solenoid.

Yeah, just plumb it in via the gas block. The only dive, locally, where I've found it necessary that we do locally is on the Hopewell @ ~370fsw. (the props on the Vammen are at 330, but you only scooter through there for a few moments and then come back to deck level at ~300ish where the CMF starts leaking again). It's a very square profile and you're generally only on the wreck for 20-25 minutes. At that depth a little O2 goes a long way so you just plumb in whatever your richest bailout mix is and use that. Don't have to add much.

If the CMF and Solenoid were to fail you'd see it on your HUD/Handset. I've got to say, though, that I've had a remarkably stable experience with the CMF. I almost never have to manually add gas unless I'm working. My unit has been very reliable and bulletproof given how much abuse I've put it through.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

the mod's been here...some posts no longer are.

I firmly believe that a diligent CCR diver is in less danger than an OC diver doing the same dive. The key word in that last sentence is "diligent".

We are all trained how to deal with any failure of the RB. As long as we do not become complacent and left Darwin sneak up on us, we will be fine. Hell, unless you are diving alpinist, you have a completely redundant OC Bailout supply of gas also. How many OC divers have a completely redundant gas supply?

Which brand or configuration is a very arguable debate. Needless to say, there are pros and cons to all units, and in the end it boils down to user preference. This is almost impossible to learn without personal experience to judge by.

I will say that not everybody has the right physical and mental skill sets to dive a rebreather both safely and properly. If you are lazy or complacent with gear, then stay OC. If you just want a rebreather because chicks dig them, then stay OC. If you want a rebreather to be as cool as me, then stay OC. If you have zero mechanical intuition, then stay OC. If you are cheap with gear maintenance, then stay OC. If you are not going to dive enough to remain current on a rebreather, then stay OC.

We not only "dig" rebreathers, we dive rebreathers!! :D

I second that!
Last week in Bonaire!

Tammy Hollis.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom