Some questions about the SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have questions about a few issues:

I am intrigued by the SDA but read a comment on Divernet to the effect that the solar charging was unable to keep the computer sufficiently charged without supplementing with the USB charger, even with leaving the computer in a sunny location between dives. I can see where this might be a problem in some locations.

Also, in going through the posts here I noticed a number of issues concerning the computer's conversion of metric tank sizes and safety stop depths to Imperial measurements. Since I mostly dive in locations using Imperial measurements, and dive with folks using computers set to Imperial units, I am a bit concerned about this as well.

Lastly, I see that the SDA begins calculating safety stop time at 10' or so below the set stop depth. I do a fair bit of diving in which I spend time taking photos at shallow depths of 20-30'. If the computer perceives me as repeatedly ascending into and then descending below a stop depth it seems to confuse some computers and cause them to register multiple short dives. I deal with this by setting my current computer for a safety stop depth of 10'. It then begins counting down a stop at 15' which is where I would normally do a safety stop, and I would not normally be that shallow without intending to end the dive, so that works fine for me.

How shallow a safety stop can the SDA be set for, and if it does not allow something like 10' stop, how does the computer react if it begins counting down and I then descend below the stop depth for 5-10 minutes, re-enter the safety stop depth, descend again, etc?

I would be grateful if someone from Uemis or perhaps current users of the SDA could comment on these things.

I demo'd the unit for a week and really liked. From what I was told is that the Solar panel System is not enough to actually charge the unit or atleast to completly charge. But its desighn was to hold the current charge. So that during the day a typical computer battery will drain once this is out and in the sun it's able to hold the charge so it doesn't loose any power.

The one day I did 3 1 hour Dives, The unit was fully charged and left in the sun during all SI. The power stayed full the entire time. So not totally sure if it was just holding the charge at full, Or more than likely its a very slow trickle charge effect.

As for the other settings I had no problems setting the unti to use Imperial numbers with tanks, feet, etc.

The safety stop I am not sure about but would think this is also something that could be adjusted, 10' is a little deep from what I remember I want to say it started recording once below 5' freshwater when I had used the unit. If at all concerned take one out for a demo

Thanks for the information. There are no Uemis dealers anywhere near where I live. I travel to dive and there are also no dealers where I dive, so I don't think a demo is possible for me.

JD950, where are you located?

The solar panel trickle charges the battery when the screen is not illuminated. When the screen is on, then if it is in "full sun" as indicated by the little icon, it will be supplying approximately half the power for the screen therefor you are using less battery power.

regarding the metric to imperial conversion, there were indeed some inconstancies in the beginning, but for the most part i believe we've sorted it out (except the tank conversion which will for now be based on the most common tank size in the US, AKA Al80, but you can vary your consumption rate more by just kicking a bit harder)

The safety stop depth can be changed to 20 or 10, but will default at approx 16'. it will not start calculating a 'new dive' until you are on the surface surface for several minutes (which of course has been an issue for others who teach classes and pop up to surface briefly to talk to student and then it combines their dive into one) the safety stop is a 'recommendation' it will not lock you out if you ascend while it is being recommended. A missed decompression stop on the other hand will penalize you if you choose to do another dive against the SDA's recommendation. with regards to the safety stop itself, it will start counting down and continue counting down if you are above the recommended stop. when it's clear its clear, there should be no need to try to 'trick' it into giving you the results you want :)

Hi Laura, I am in Colorado, but dive mostly in the Caribbean. Not planning on skipping any deco obligations so no worry there, just wondering how the computer would handle me moving around at 20-30' taking photos. If I understand correctly, the UEMIS starts counting down a safety stop at a minimum depth of 26' at the default setting, which to me isn't ideal, but I suppose livable. Resetting it for each dive actually doesn't help that much as the situation I am describing arises unpredictably. Can it simply be turned off and if so will it stay off or reset on each dive? I don't really need a warning or timer for the safety stop, I can decide on my own how deep and how long and simply time the stop myself using the dive time readout.

If the timer is left on, I gather from what you are saying that if I were to stay at perhaps 20-25' for 10 minutes, the UEMIS would countdown a 3 minute stop and then re-enter normal dive mode with a correct readout of dive time and would then not expect another safety stop? Or would it treat the dive as concluded and cease to add dive time? I actually would not feel much need for a safety stop after hanging around 20' for awhile.

Not really a question of tricking the computer or evading stops, just wondering what the readout will look like and how the computer will show dive time under these circumstances. This isn't an "every dive" kind of thing, but I do often spend awhile taking pictures in shallow water after an initial deeper dive.

I have been watching the product since its introduction including a thread in which you participated over at the dive matrix. A fellow there had his computer die on a five day (I think) trip to Bonaire where he left it in the sun each day, but it did not keep charged. I think there was a conclusion that the solar panel was defective but I don't think there was ever a clear resolution.

As I said in my other post, I cannot play with one in person, let alone dive one, so I am trying to learn about the thing via the internet.

jd950, I do long dive at 20-30ft after going down to 100ft or so all the time. It is one dive and safety stop countdown is just that. Helps people count down the safety stop. Now if you continue to be in that range you are just fine you have extended "Safety stop" :wink: (it is just part of the dive no worries, will not start another dive or anything)

OK, it sounds like the safety stop timer is not an issue. I think 26' is too deep to start the countdown timer, but it would not affect me.

I will call DRIS. I am not close, but I have done business with them before, so maybe that will work.

For the solar cell, I just had a brilliant LOB weekend in the South China Sea two weeks ago :)
First day: 4 day dives and 1 night dive, all around 50-55min, or whatever that translates to in imperial :nope:
Second day: 2 morning dives.

Afterwards the battery was about half empty. Charging the SDA with the solar cell didn't really obviously help according to its status. But I have to admit that I tend to avoid putting any electronics out in the sun, so I went about it carefully. Anyway, for more than a weekend I would make sure to be able to charge it without relying on the solar cell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom