Some pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
wow... very nice. the third pic (the big red fish with spots) looks a lot like what
over here we call a coney. what's it called over there?

H2Andy:
wow... very nice. the third pic (the big red fish with spots) looks a lot like what
over here we call a coney. what's it called over there?
I'm sorry - I'm really not very good at ID's (shame:sorry19z: ) Anyone want to help me out? I'd love to know myself - as you can see - the titles are a bit weak!
(I privately call it 'sashimi' though - you sometimes see it in the fish markets!)

sashimi sounds mighty good!

:wink:

Very nice, Kim!

justleesa:
Cool pics Kim! and a nice new Avitar too!
As you might have noticed - the avatar is a crop from the clownfish pic.
By the way, I just noticed you live in Honolulu. We are coming there in July for a few days - I'm hoping to get in a couple of days diving with my wife - do you have any suggestions?

KimLeece:
As you might have noticed - the avatar is a crop from the clownfish pic.
By the way, I just noticed you live in Honolulu. We are coming there in July for a few days - I'm hoping to get in a couple of days diving with my wife - do you have any suggestions?

We have some great wrecks and reef dives that I am sure you will enjoy:

East Side - The Corsair - The only "real" wreck. In 1941 (I think) the pilot was having motor trouble and had to bail out. It lays at about 108'

Spitting cave - I only have done this one once - about a year ago, before I started taking pictures - but it was a nice dive. It was a drift dive. There is a cave on the coast line that you swim into (careful of the fishing lines!). There were starfish every where and when you get to the back and look up you see the light entering the cave and the water crashing at the surface...just beautiful. For obvious reasons not always do-able

South Side (Waikiki) - The Sea Tiger - This ship was used to smuggle illegal immigrants into the US. It was auctioned off 3 times. The last company that bought it sunk it in 1998 as a submarine tourist attraction. The company went broke so it's just for us divers now :eyebrow: . Lays at about 110-120'

YO-257 at 100 some feet/San Pedro at 86' - Two wrecks within swim distance of each other. The YO was a military oil tanker from WWII. Don't know too much history on these two but they were also sunk in the 90's (not at the same time) by a sudmarine company as a tourist attraction. They still go thru and you can wave to the tourists inside.

Kewalo pipe/ 40- about 60' - a storm drain (no longer in use) that has lots of coral and fish. Haven't gotten to see it yet, but they say there is a dragon moray there. Off to the one side the UH has fish habitats...interesting to see.
Out this way you can also dive turtle canyon, Kehi pipe - people are not too thrilled about Kaisers reef.

West Side - MS Mahi - Oahus' first artificial reef was a WWII mine layer known as the USS Scrimmage. Changed hands a coupl'a times before it was sunk in 1982. Over the years that I have been diving it I have been watching it fall apart. It is no longer safe to swim thru and if the current is strong you can see the top cabin, better said what's left of it, move back and forth, but it still is a great dive as groups of up to 18 (from what we have seen) eagle rays love to hang around.

Makaha Caverns, also known as The Lava tubes - Lots of swim thrus, arches and caverns. You can see lots of turtles there! Used to do this one pretty much every day but after the death of our boss we landed on the other side of the Island. Miss the caves.

Also out that way is A-Frames, Stars, 5" reef (lots of live ammo laying around), turtle canyons, black rock

I am unfamiliar with the diving up North. Only have been up there once and did Sharks Cove - a shore dive. It was excellent. Only doable in the months from May to September. As for the wrecks there are also some LCU's and other plane wrecks that we dive. The one's I listed are the major ones.
I am also sure there are some other reefs, but these are the ones I know.

Hope this helps you make a choice, you can drop me a line and I can get you hooked up...and hope to see you while you're here.

Aloha,
Lisa

Wow - Thanks Lisa! That's a lot of nice information - I'll PM you closer to the time and would love to meet you while we are there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom