Some Pics I took this weekend... Canon S80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am happy with my first shots.

It might not be the best but they dont suck in my opinion.

The stone fish was a great test subject.

Once I get to a higher skill level I will upgrade to a Canon EOS 5D Digital SLR Camera and Ikelite dual Strobe.

I should be able to take even better pics.

ocrmaster:
I
Once I get to a higher skill level I will upgrade to a Canon EOS 5D Digital SLR Camera and Ikelite dual Strobe.

I should be able to take even better pics.

Yup, when you have a higher skill level you certainly will get even better results! :) But you're at a good starting point now.

alcina,

Thank you... I will try your advice when i go diving again.

Please keep in mind that the shots i posted are my first outing with my camera.

And I dont have a strobe yet.

Ocrmaster!

Looks like you're having lots of fun with your new S80. Awesome pics. :)

Ed.
Another S80 User!

You dont need to upgrade your camera....just get a strobe for pics 1-2 meters away and a video light for Macro. I currently use Sea and Sea YS25DX strobe and a Fisheye 21W video light with a S80 Cannon. My pictures rival with professional photographers that I go diving with here in Taiwan that are all deckout with SLR's and dual strobe set ups. Often its not the equipment you are using...its your position in relation to the object you are shooting. My 2 cents anyway. Soon I will stop being lazy and post some pics.

ff8kg

Less than 2 feet

more like 12 inches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ol8e7

shellbackdiver1:
You dont need to upgrade your camera....just get a strobe for pics 1-2 meters away and a video light for Macro. I currently use Sea and Sea YS25DX strobe and a Fisheye 21W video light with a S80 Cannon. My pictures rival with professional photographers that I go diving with here in Taiwan that are all deckout with SLR's and dual strobe set ups. Often its not the equipment you are using...its your position in relation to the object you are shooting. My 2 cents anyway. Soon I will stop being lazy and post some pics.

While I agree skill and practice are very important in photography, it is an equipment based art form. I seriously doubt that your images with the S80 will hold up against images shot with a DSLR once you enlarge them past 8x10. And it's not about mpix, it's about sensor size, and the tonal quality that the larger sensors produce in addition to much better optics.

My other issue is missed shots due to shot lag, and OOF shots do to the poorly performing AF vs. the AF in the SLR. Manual focus is also next to impossible with the PnS.

In any event the Canon A and S series cameras do a great job for what they cost. I've been very happy with making 8x10 prints from my S70.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom