Some pics and a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gudge:
A problem with ring flashes is that they can result in a lot of backscatter

Not when you are just inches from your subject, less water, less particles. The Nikonos cameras with close-up tubes and framers, where the subjects were about 2 inches from the lens. A high power Nikonos strobe blasting away at full power, no backscatter.

Gudge:

I stand corrected! :D

Ring flashes topside have some historical issues as well. Mainly they are very limited both based on the strobe position (fixed), and the power ratings which are generally much lower than standard flashes. IOW's, they are designed for macro ONLY, and so are very special use.

The Inon looks somewhat limited for DSLR use as it is a slave unit, so one must trigger it with the main flash, and it does not have any preflash cancellation options or TTL for digital cameras.

BTW, it's nice to see you posting on SB, you are a very welcome addition. It was great meeting and diving with you!

f3nikon:
Not when you are just inches from your subject, less water, less particles. The Nikonos cameras with close-up tubes and framers, where the subjects were about 2 inches from the lens. A high power Nikonos strobe blasting away at full power, no backscatter.

And you have experience with this?

My experience is that particles in the water don't disappear just because you get closer. There maybe less of them, but full power certainly would not reduce backscatter. I think Gudge made an excellent point.

RonFrank:
And you have experience with this?

My experience is that particles in the water don't disappear just because you get closer. There maybe less of them, but full power certainly would not reduce backscatter. I think Gudge made an excellent point.

Yes I have and all folks who shoot close-up have as well. The camera's viewing angle fans out in a "V" shape, with the bottom of the "V" pointing at the camera lense. The closer you move the lens towards the subject, area were the "V" starts to narrow, the more the chances you will be shooting between the particles. Not just the particles from up and down but also left and right then in and out. That is why his image was so sharp but a bit unevenly exposed.

The point is even at full power the strobe does not light up the particles that are not within the frame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom