Some Newbie Thoughts on Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you reach the InReach mounted in one of those rear weight pockets?

It would be OK to put some blame on the SeaLife Micro 3 also. It is very limiting. That you "failed" with the TG-6 is surprising. Care to say anything more, or give examples?

I can't reach the InReach mounted in the rear weight pocket. I would need to remove my BP/W while on the surface to get to it. It's not too difficult to remove and replace my BP/W while bobbing about, so hopefully it won't be an issue in the unlikely event I ever have to use the InReach.

I have not used the TG-6. That must be someone else's post.

May I ask how much extra money you spent figuring out the details of what worked for you? (Total money spent - cost of final config - money made from selling used gear.) Buying 18 masks at an average of $75 each equals $1350, which is well outside of most people's mask budget.

I didn't sell any of my gear that didn't work out, so I didn't recoup anything on it.

My guess is that I probably spent a bit over $2000 on equipment that I won't use (for me and my wife.)

That's a lot, but it was worth it to me to get everything figured out up front. I'm at a stage in my life where I'm willing to waste some extra money to ensure that my gear is good and my diving experience is optimal.

Since we got certified this past spring, we've been diving in Jamaica, Cozumel, and Cancun. Headed to Florida next week, and to Belize in January. As soon as Australia gets over its COVID panic, we'll be headed there too. So we are getting good use out of the gear. I figure that the more trips we go on, the more reasonable my initial equipment investment becomes.

I hate rental gear and would not faff with rental gear at all. Buy your own gear. I also prefer new over used save for my compulsive disorder involving double hose regulators and certain specific single hose jobs :wink:.

But, the warning is that your needs will evolve and change and you may find the gear you bought not to your liking. Again, I have been buying gear for 50 years so I am not going to sympathize or try too hard to save you money. Get the stuff and get diving. It will all work out from there. The best kit is the one that is transparent in use to your underwater pursuits. I am still looking for that perfect kit. I think I am close to the grail now.

To me, the regulator is a long term investment that may last for decades even if rotated to back up service. If you may head to tech get a SP G260. If you want a (the) top performance regulator get an AL Legend. Grab a back inflate type BC and when you discover a year from now you prefer a back plate and wing you can spend some more money. That is what makes the economy go.

James

I can't reach the InReach mounted in the rear weight pocket. I would need to remove my BP/W while on the surface to get to it. It's not too difficult to remove and replace my BP/W while bobbing about, so hopefully it won't be an issue in the unlikely event I ever have to use the InReach.

I have not used the TG-6. That must be someone else's post.
You might want to relocate your InReach.

Sorry, yes the TG-6 was in a post commenting on your post. My bad.

NEVER apologize for buying gear that is safe, and fits your needs. Good things cost money!! What I remind new divers is that this gear is a survival suit. It is like a spacesuit that astronauts wear. If it malfunctions....you can die!! So with that in mind:

1) Buy good gear right off the bat.
2) Learn how it works and how to maximize all the features...especially the safety ones
3) Handle it, transport it, and maintain your gear like your life depends on it...because it does!!

I think you did great on your gear purchases and you have a terrific attitude as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom