Some more Info on the Sea&Sea YSD1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had 3 issues so far: one unit developed a short and would change modes and the status light would change colors if you moved the strobe around or tapped it your finger, the 2nd would report the batteries were spent even though they were completely recharged, but showed no signs of flooding, this third one flooded in the battery compartment but the o-ring is in perfect condition. When I called the store I got it from today and talked to the guy that's been helping me with the others, I think I heard an audible sigh over the phone. He didn't seem surprised. Kinda interesting.

Jak - I have used SnS strobes for years and the only flooded battery compartment I've had was about 2 years after I bought it, I realised afterwards that I had not 'locked' (additional click) the compartment over the batteries and the cap came off getting out of the water. The D1 looks the same arrangement as they have had that design for a long time. I can't imagine a leak there (unless you did what I did). The battery compartment is also water proof so I cleaned mine out with fresh water and I used it for another 5 years before selling it about 2 years ago. Bet it is still going strong.

The rest of your report is concerning enough for me to hang onto my Inon Z240 until all has calmed down.

Only problem I've ever had with Sea & Sea strobes is they don't like a sudden jolt of water. I flooded one of my YS-110s jumping off the side of a boat with the camera to shoot a whale shark. Normally I have it handed off to me.

Only problem I've ever had with Sea & Sea strobes is they don't like a sudden jolt of water. I flooded one of my YS-110s jumping off the side of a boat with the camera to shoot a whale shark. Normally I have it handed off to me.

Thanks Larry I will keep that in mind. Like you I always have it handed to me. Most probably good advice for all underwater camera users - although I used to do this with my Nikonos in the 70's. But nothing is built like that these days - it was bomb proof. Come to think of it the 3 is still around the house somewhere.

I have been hearing about lots of problems and returns on the D1. I am very interested in upgrading from my ys-01s (great strobes, no problems) but do the dealers or pros out there have any insight as to how widespread the problems are with this new model?

Jak - I have used SnS strobes for years and the only flooded battery compartment I've had was about 2 years after I bought it, I realised afterwards that I had not 'locked' (additional click) the compartment over the batteries and the cap came off getting out of the water. The D1 looks the same arrangement as they have had that design for a long time. I can't imagine a leak there (unless you did what I did). The battery compartment is also water proof so I cleaned mine out with fresh water and I used it for another 5 years before selling it about 2 years ago. Bet it is still going strong.

The rest of your report is concerning enough for me to hang onto my Inon Z240 until all has calmed down.

I'm 100% sure the battery cap was locked down and the o-ring seated properly, and I always have my camera lowered to me from the boat after I jump in the water. However, sea&sea is now saying they won't cover the cost of repairing the strobe under warranty, Quite frankly, at this point it's sea&sea that has to prove to me they make can make a quality product since this is the 3rd -D1 I've been given. Both strobes I bought in May have now been replaced due to defects, with one having been replaced twice now. In fact, with the last replacement, I was told it was taken from a batch of "known good units". And because they've chosen to essentially blame me for the strobe flooding, I've gone an sic'd American Express on them because I used my Amex gold to buy the strobes, and I get automatic damage and defect protection, which will give me a full refund of the purchase price so I can either buy another brand new -D1 or perhaps a different brand. I'm not going to pay for repairs to damage that I didn't cause.

So what's this new feature Slave TTL that's on the YS-D1? Is it just the fact that it can increase exposure level as opposed to only decreasing it in the prior models?

I'm 100% sure the battery cap was locked down and the o-ring seated properly, and I always have my camera lowered to me from the boat after I jump in the water. However, sea&sea is now saying they won't cover the cost of repairing the strobe under warranty, Quite frankly, at this point it's sea&sea that has to prove to me they make can make a quality product since this is the 3rd -D1 I've been given. Both strobes I bought in May have now been replaced due to defects, with one having been replaced twice now. In fact, with the last replacement, I was told it was taken from a batch of "known good units". And because they've chosen to essentially blame me for the strobe flooding, I've gone an sic'd American Express on them because I used my Amex gold to buy the strobes, and I get automatic damage and defect protection, which will give me a full refund of the purchase price so I can either buy another brand new -D1 or perhaps a different brand. I'm not going to pay for repairs to damage that I didn't cause.

Well Jak you have convinced me to hang off for at least a year until I hear they are stable. Amazed that SnS have changed the battery cap as the one they had has been excellent for me.

Well Jak you have convinced me to hang off for at least a year until I hear they are stable. Amazed that SnS have changed the battery cap as the one they had has been excellent for me.
I have both YS-110's and a YS-D1. As far as I can tell, the battery cap is the same. I've had no problems with the YS-D1 except that the system for holding the diffuser in place, while much simpler to use than the YS-110 is less secure. Also the more versatile mounting system, with the ability to use an integral ball mount as well as the usual Sea & Sea clamp mount, is held on by a screw that loosened up on mine. A quick fix with the supplied hex socket wrench secured it back in place but it's something to keep an eye on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom