Some mini-lessons learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavachickie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to post a few of my lessons learned. This board gave me SO MUCH back in November/December '09 as I was getting certified and looking forward to my first week long dive trip in Cozumel in January '10. I've gone diving a half dozen times in the lovely PNW waters since then (not nearly often enough) but they've all been great fun, and great learning experiences. This isn't much, but it's what I can give back at this time! :D

- Ditch the caffeine.
I'm a large mocha w/ an extra shot from Dutch Brothers kind of girl, never start the day without it! But last month when I started the morning with that, and then grabbed a 32 ounce Mountain Dew two hours later (it's a 3 hour drive from Salem, OR to Redondo in WA!), it was too much. I was jittery, nervous, distracted... Not a positive contribution to my day. It was difficult to focus, and made me more of an air hog on the trip to 85 feet (octo wasn't home, bummer) than need be. But my new rule? None the morning of a dive. This weekend that worked out well for me. Cool as a cucumber for two dives at Redondo, and the next morning a dive at Les Davis.

- If a piece of gear requires too much futzing... it's not right for you, get something else.
The Atomic frameless I'd bought seemed to fit well, but needed frequent clearing and futzing. When you're new, you take the word of those more experienced than you. I was fit for that mask and told it was perfect. I figured I was doing something wrong. On a dive I forgot my mask (see another tip below) and used a buddy's spare. Ah, so THIS is now it should be! I found that the "medium" fit in this mask is actually "narrow." Uh... nothing on my body is narrow. I had my shop order the "standard" and dove it this weekend... Wow! Slap it on and go... no fuss needed. LOVE IT.

- Yes, some of us girls do really have big lungs, but we don't always have to use them.
Thanks to a big frame, playing wind instruments as a child and doing yoga as an adult, I've got the deep breathing thing down. I did as I was taught and took slow, full, deep breaths when underwater. And it made my line of travel look like a sine wave. Up with the inhale, down with the exhale. The truth is, once you find yourself comfortable in the water, shallower breathing is not only okay, but necessary for good buoyancy control. (Not SHALLOW breathing, but shallower than filling up your entire lung capacity.) What we are taught is spot on for beginners -- because deep full breaths do a LOT to stave off the physiological effects of nerves that can spiral into panic. I just missed the transition advice, and figured it out myself from noticing breath rates of divers on video. I tried it out myself. Huge improvement. Less volume change equals less change in buoyancy, and markedly less air consumption. But I go back to the slow deep breaths if anything makes me nervous (like losing my buddy in 5 foot viz or the leg cramp from hell on the end of that 2nd dive in cold water).

- Spend focused time working on trim and buoyancy (or any other skill).
Some instructors and experienced divers say that you'll learn to correct things simply by diving. I disagree. Certain skills need to be practiced, with vigor and immediate correction, and for me trim is one of them. So find someone who is willing to go out with you and work on it (or whatever it is you want to work on.) Find yourself the depth you desire, and do your thing while your buddy constantly corrects you (lifts the knee to get in line with the spine, pushes the head down, etc.). I struggle with a "head up, fins down" stance that puts me at an angle in the water, and wastes energy and makes finding and maintaining neutral buoyancy difficult. I'll get it one of these days. :) That just means I need more practice! Better go out again this weekend! =-)

- Use a checklist to pack!
Sounds so simple. I figured a mental checklist would work. I'd gear myself up, virtually, from head to toe. Somehow, I forgot my mask once with this method. So now I print out the PADI checklist, and go through it line by line, gathering my gear and putting it into my travel box, marking out what I don't have/need. It's pretty idiot proof. =-)

- Always thank your good dive buddies.
Give them a big hug, tell them how much you appreciate their time and consideration.

- Contribute to the community as a whole.
Sometimes it's as simple as smiling at the new person (in your group or the one next to you) who is so nervous on the surface that they are shaking. Take a moment to talk to them, ask them how they are doing, remind them to breath, and let them know you were there once, too!

I found myself in a very warm and giving group of people like this, and I LOVE my new found dive family. I'm already becoming someone other people ask questions of, and I have gone from begging n00b to sought after dive partner. Maybe that's just because I bring good food. ;-)

Great advice especially the checklist part. I also try to dress my self from head to toe mentally but usually forget things like warm socks or towels when I do that.

thanks for the post... great advice.

Lavachickie, maybe we'll get a chance to dive together one of these days!

Regarding trim -- start with posture: Head up, back flat, knees somewhat bent, arms out in front of you. Have your buddy confirm that you have this. Then stop moving, and see where you tilt. Do this several times, and if the tilt is consistent, move some weight around and repeat the test. You can correct a lot of static weighting issues with body posture, but not all, and as a novice to maintaining trim, the closer you get your static weighting, the easier your life will be.

Driving that far you have to dive Day Island and Titlow some time!

Lavachickie great post, thanks! I'd add, don't blow off the buddy check! On a recent boat dive my insta-buddy got in the water before we had a chance to do checks. As it turned out, I realised about 10 minutes into the dive that I'd cleverly managed to trap my SPG between my BC and my back, something which would have been picked up in a buddy check. It was no biggie, but highlighted to me the importance of checking every time - now I insist on checks, even if I have to grab someone by the scruff and pull them back onto the boat :wink:

It was no biggie, but highlighted to me the importance of checking every time - now I insist on checks, even if I have to grab someone by the scruff and pull them back onto the boat

Good for you! A buddy check solves SO many problems before they occur, and it's so simple to do, but almost every single diver I know curtails or omits them, even before major dives. Even my closest friends think I'm a PITA about this -- SB's own kathydee turned to our third buddy on a dive I did with her and asked, "Does she always go through this for a 10 foot reef dive?"

I don't know how many times I had to fight through the self-conscious feelings I got when other divers on the dock or shore (Bonaire) were staring while my sons and I did full buddy checks, went over our dive plan, and verbalized our emergency procedures. We did this before EVERY dive. The sense of security you get from it is very good. The few times that we had things to take care of were very unstressful.

Anyone out there that skips these things because you don't want to look like a noob, in the words of Bob Newhart, STOP IT!

Back
Top Bottom