Some help, I have read too much!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is my situation... I have been diving for a while now (about 12 years and 500+ dives) and I have never really gotten into photography or videography for a few reasons
a. I just like to enjoy the dive and relax, not focus on complex tasks like taking good photographs.
b. In order to get good images you have traditionally needed to spend quite a bit of money on housings, lights, and so on and I could always come up with other uses for the money.
c. I honestly prefer to dive streamlined and without carrying big gear.
d. After a dive I would rather relax than edit images.

A few years ago, I bought a Hero 2 for family use and took it with me to Red Sea on a whim. Without a LCD screen it was a nice little toy, and I fashioned a Goodman type handle so it was actually really easy to carry, but results were okay at best.

Then last year I bought a Solas 800 light that I use the hand mount for, and this year the Hero 2 started going glitchy on me so I started thinking about buying a Hero4. Then I started thinking... hey maybe I can buy a pistol grip/one handed tray, put both the light and Hero 4 on it and there you go. Then I started reading about Flip 3.1 and the Switchblade filter/macro combo... and now I am wondering...

If I want to get decent, but not great video (mostly to show my kids and help me remember when I am too old!) with a minimum of fuss and not spending more than $200 I have the light) on top of a Hero4 Silver), can I do this? Am I being silly? Some more specific questions

a. Is the Solas 800 a reasonably bright enough light for "general use"?
b. Flip 3.1 with a macro add on or Switchblade 2.0 (I like simple)?
c. Are those one handed trays easy to carry during a dive or are they the "worst of both worlds" i.e. big enough that you have to adjust for them but not big enough to be stable and take good video? Also, can you clip them off and not have them drag all over the place?
d. Any thoughts on specific trays if I were to go that route?

Here is a setup I use and suggested to someone just recently that will cost much less than your $200 budget.

It's hassle free if you just want to enjoy the dive without having to worry about which filter to switch to and no need for post editing. Tray is light and small, but long enough to feel the stability.

• Grips/Handle ($15 for 2 / aluminum alloy, they are short but OK once you add the flex arms)
  • Flex Arms + Light Holder ($45 for 2 / or you can look up another locline system to attach the SOLA 800)
  • Tray ($7.5 / aluminum alloy, will come from China along with the grips, so takes a couple weeks)
  • Filter $10 / (internal red filter for blue and blue-water from 15ish to 70ish feet deep, no bubbles stuck on it, no scratching getting in and out of the water)
  • Lanyard ($10 / any dive gear keeper, clip to bcd)

Besides these items, you will need a stainless steel 1/4" screw and the GoPro tripod adapter, if you don't have one, to attach the camera to the tray. Most of these things ship free, so it should cost < $100.

ps. Goodman-type handles might be comfortable for lights but make no sense for cameras. A tray is the way to go.

Thanks so much... love the idea... 2 concerns
a. I would only have 1 light, so wonder if the balance would be off
b. Leavein 2.5 weeks so shipping from China might be an issue... If I can figure out A then I can work out b.

It's fine with one light, even with two it's hard to fill the whole frame. In both cases you will get a little "unlit" area around the corners because the GoPro shoots too wide (not 170deg underwater, but still wide).

I guess you will have to get a tray locally then, stuff from China never arrived before 3 weeks for me

Found it. Here is the $40 tray that I had before (with a HERO2 and a small light). That price includes the 1 arm too. The adapter for the light was sold separate for about $8.

This is an "Intova Slim" tray.

bEyRS.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom