Some General Settings Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got done with an UW photography class in Bonaire, and wanted to get others' thoughts on some items:

1. White Balance: My understanding is that with UW photos, since you are using a strobe which has a color temperature about equal with filtered sunlight on a cloudy day, you don't need any or much white balance compensation. If you do use AWB, for example, then prior to shooting the photo the AWB will see the blue tint at depth, compensate by increasing the reds, and when the strobe goes off you will end up getting a red tinted photo. Therefore, you should put your AWB setting on Cloudy.

2. Exposure: Assuming your shots will have white sand or the light blue of the water surface in the background, you set the camera's exposure so that the light background will not be overexposed. The strobe then provides lighting for the foreground subject. To do this, you can set the Exposure Value at -1.0 to -2.0 to intentionally underexpose so the the background will be correct, and let the flash take care of the foreground.

Do these make sense?

What sorts of f-stops and shutter speeds do you tend to use?

If you shoot in RAW (which I highly recommend) WB is a moot point. You use auto WB.

Do you shoot a 5050 (I think that I saw that you did in another thread)??

For WA, I would start at f5.6 & 125....then adjust from there.

For macro, I would start at f8 & 250 (I like dark backgrounds)....then adjust from there.

HTH,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom