Some Bonaire I.D.s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Made it to Bonaire a week in December. Working on a Blurb book from the trip, for which I've got a coupon that's about to expire, so the pressure's on. Got a few things I'd like to get good I.D.s on, if you guys can help.

Pic. #1.) I know what a Sharp-tail eel, blue-striped grunt, Spanish hogfish & schoolmaster are. The 2'nd fish, though, is that a Graysby? I'm thinking it is, but I'm not good with the little grouper types.

Pic #2.) A Grouper, maybe 2 feet long? What kind? Doesn't look to me like a Nassau or Yellowfin.

Pic #3.) Hawksbill Sea Turtle, right?

IMG_0580.jpg

Pic #4.) Green Sea Turtle, right?

IMG_06922.jpg

Pic #5.) I've seen Coney's, generally black with blue speckles, but what's up with this loud yellow base color? Is it a different species, a mutant, a male in breeding color or what?

IMG_8420.jpg

Pic #6.) Are these grey snappers? They hang around the pier at Buddy Dive.

IMG_8417.jpg

Pic #7.) This crab was found inside the lower portion of that boat wreck you can reach by entering at Buddy Dive and heading north toward the Cliff. Someone recently posted a pic of a similar crab from a different part of the world, so evidently many crabs aren't real distinctive. My Bonaire Reef I.D. card just mentions a 'Coral Crab.' I did some Googling, but came up with a Channel Cling Crab; Jeremy Anschel with Living Underwater showed me a CCC in Cozumel and this looks way different from that. I'd guess this guy is baseball sized or thereabouts.

IMG_8665.jpg

Thanks for any help, guys.

Thanks! Especially on the Tiger Grouper; good to know. Adds another species of grouper to the list I've seen. So the last pic is just called a 'Coral Crab?'

Anybody are to confirm if that's a Graysby in the first pic, and whether the 2'nd sea turtle is a Green sea turtle?

Richard.

Looking at Humann's Reef Creature ID book, #7 appears to be a Batwing Coral Crab (Carpilius corallinus) AKA coral crab, red coral crab and queen crab.

Yep, Graysby. See the nice round tail. Tiger Grouper, Epinephelus tigris Hawksbill Green Turtles Coney Grey Snapper Batwing Coral Crab

Thanks, guys. You've been a huge help. I like to get I.D.s right in these Blurb books I get made as momentos (and they are a neat way to share dive adventures with others, since you can narrate the photos and tell a story).

That is a sharp-tail eel hunting in Pic. 1. They get mistaken for sea snakes a lot, so much so that whenever someone claims to've seen a sea snake in the Caribbean, this is my 'go to' main suspect.

Glad to know about the grey snappers, too. I can I.D. blue-striped grunts, French grunts, sergeant majors, blue tang (Caribbean version), school masters and a few other common reef fish in Bonaire, but some of the 'plainer' looking ones throw me.

What's also interesting to me is what I've seen elsewhere in the Caribbean & yet in 5 trips to Bonaire, not here so far. Gray Angelfish and Pork Fish come to mind.

Richard.

P.S.: In the pic with the gray snappers, are the few with the yellow fins something else?

Your Pic#1 I have on video from a January dive on Bonaire. The sharp-tail was feeding in the coral rubble and the fish were competing for whatever emerged. A cool site to watch.

Back
Top Bottom