Some Advice Pls: Ningaloo Vs GBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmlockley

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Have just arrived in Oz and have the next 6 weeks to travel about - want to get in a fair bit of diving but realistically can only visit one of either the East/West coasts. This means a choice between diving at the Ningaloo reef or the Great Barrier - Has anyone dived both, if so how did they compare?

Have heard that GBR is a bit of a let down as there's just too many tourists - If anyone has visited either I'd be grateful for any advice as good dive sites/companies & also be interested in how they enjoyed it.

Cheers for your time

Not dived both, but had a great time on the GBR. Many many tourists, however remember you are one of them. If you want to avoid the cattle boats you will need to get on a liveaboard and go north. However I managed to have good dives with both Posieden and Haba when I was there. The liveaboard experience was far better however.

I have not dove Nig. either. I have been on the GBR and at Osprey off N.E. coast and enjoyed the diving. The farther you go north on the east side the better. Anything from Lizard Island north would be my suggestion. Take a 3 or 4 day liveaboard out of Port Douglas. There is alot to do in Cairns, some suggestions would be:

1. Japaguy? (sp)
2. Train/Skyrail to Kurunda
3. Wait-a-while tour.
4. Ferry boat (Quicksilver) to Port Douglas
5. White water rafting
6. In Port Douglas "breakfast with the birds" at the Habitat
7. A river trip in Port Douglas
8. We didn't do this but it sounds interesting...a 4 wheel drive experience into the rainforest.
9. Another we didn't do ....helicopter/plane into the Outback.

I thought that there were not alot of tourists while we were there (June/July). When we were out to sea on the "Diversity" the oly other boat we saw (GBR) was the Mike Ball liveaboard at Lizard Island, and a glimse of another liveaboard at Osprey one night - we could see the lights from about a mile away.

I've dived both. Both have a lot to offer.

Ningaloo is, of course, much more remote and there are fewer people on land and in the water. The manta rays are plentiful from the southern end at this time of year (Coral Bay). The reef diving is extremely active, too: cleaning stations galore!

The further out you head onto the GBR the better, IMHO. A liveaboard is the way to go. Head out the Coral Sea if possible, beautiful.

I think you'll have a fabulous time whichever you choose! Whatever you do, don't shortchange yourself with a rush job to either. Relax, stay awhile, enjoy. You'll just have to come back again to do the other side :D

Cheers for the advice folks, will definitely help me make up my mind... from the sounds of it it should be great either way.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the info/Recommendations

John

I've done both also...very different diving. If you do Ningaloo, do both Navy Pier and whale shark "hunting". Exmouth has the friendliest people in the world, just not very many of them. If you do GBR, I also recommend a liveaboard. We did Mike Ball, but want to return to the Nimrod Explorer as we've been on several of their other boats in the Caribbean and think they are great. Good Luck!

As you are going to be in Australia for 6 weeks, you should try to experience both places.

I could never say GBR is disappointing. The water is warmer, so I'd consider the diving easier plus you see so many amazing things.

As the Indian Ocean is colder you may need to wear a thicker wetsuit (I wore 2 wetsuits (3+3) if you dive Ningaloo. I was there last December and the visibility was not as good as GBR. You'll see lots of colorful nudibranchs and if you are lucky the whale sharks.

Exmouth is such a unique town. I stayed at the Potshed Hotel and was serenaded everyday by the budgerigars outside my door and the white cockatoos who are the trapeze artists in the trees. The locals are so friendly you can’t miss out on meeting them if you go to Gracies Bistro.

Don’t forget the other locals – the “blowies”. You’ll be doing the Australian wave in no time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom