Solomon Islands - Bilkiki Trip Report (Detailed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy, those were terrific photos. I was entranced for an hour. Thanks

if anyone was planning a trip to the solomons, what dive sites would you recommend - your top 5 say?

Do you mean destinations or actual sites? If it is sites there are some (deeper wrecks like the John Penn) that I have not yet done but which I hope will go on the list. But from what I have seen so far the following would be on it:

"Mary Island" - on a Bilikiki trip great big fish action

The Sinkhole on the Bapita trip from Uepi Resort

Toa Maru with Dive Gizo

Leru Cut in the Russel Islands - on a Bilikiki trip

The wreck at Bonegi 1 which is a shore dive 15mins from Honiara with great coral, lots of cute fish and a massive Japanese transport.

Cheers

Alison

Last edited:
The definition of comprehensive report. Very nice.

I'd second the vote for Mary Island. Especially with the volcano rocking and rolling and playing a tune on my chest. A lesson in low frequency sound. And of course, Leru Cut. I forget the name of one of my favorites: a derivitive of Coral garden which had amazing life and I spent the whole time going in and out of the coral and watching cuttlefish.

While we didn't stop at a village, we did stop at an island on the way back to spend the day with the family there. The kids, though they had nothing by our standards, never stopped laughing and playing. And they swam like fish, easily swimming right out to the boat. Especially nice was one night going on a night dive. I kept hearing childrens voices though we were anchored a distance out. Coming out to get on the skiff, there were about 20 kids of all sizes sitting in dugouts next to the boat watching the nut divers go out at night.

Besides the WWII related area, I really liked how we stayed amongst the islands. That would be a good trip for seasickness challenged people with only a couple crossings.

I thought it should be raining at the top of the stairway in the salon because it was so hot in comparison to the air conditioning downstairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom