Solo Vacations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm still in the "Hmmm..." stage of vacation planning, so I thought I'd ask folks here what they've experienced in the planning stages.

While contemplating using one of these little squares of plastic that goes for cash nowadays, I've been looking going on a unique diving trip. By unique, I mean doing something I can't here in New England, USA; swim with manta rays, poke a great white shark in the eye, etc.

I've noticed the most of the dive resort/vacation packages are all priced pp/do (per person, double occupancy), with a premium charged for a single person. I'm not looking for a "single's scene", just some additional ideas and resources for a solo diver planning a solo out-of-USA trip without having to pay more than a buddy pair on the same dive boat/resort.

Any ideas?

I've had pretty good luck with things by just agreeing to share my room. A trip to BC I'm planning on in a couple weeks will be like that. A bunch of folks will arrive. Some will be couples, some won't. For economics sake we'll all share the lodge and dive on the same schedule and off the same boat.

The only time that has been a problem is when I tried to dive out of Nanimo, BC. There, unless I brought enough people to run the boat they weren't interested in me. Nor were they interested in adding me to another group.

To me it is reasonable for a dive company to insist that they make money off their customers. To do that either they have to efficiently use their rooms or boat. My choice, and any other diver's choice, is to either make the best of it, or pony up the extra cash.

Guess I should say that diving solo is not a religion with me as it apparently is for some folks. I do what makes sense under the circumstances. For others guess they have to pay a bit more to indulge their preference.

dnight:
I'm still in the "Hmmm..." stage of vacation planning, so I thought I'd ask folks here what they've experienced in the planning stages.

While contemplating using one of these little squares of plastic that goes for cash nowadays, I've been looking going on a unique diving trip. By unique, I mean doing something I can't here in New England, USA; swim with manta rays, poke a great white shark in the eye, etc.

I've noticed the most of the dive resort/vacation packages are all priced pp/do (per person, double occupancy), with a premium charged for a single person. I'm not looking for a "single's scene", just some additional ideas and resources for a solo diver planning a solo out-of-USA trip without having to pay more than a buddy pair on the same dive boat/resort.

Any ideas?

If you are willing to share a room, it is (pretty) easy to avoid the single sur charge. One way is to hook up with an LDS that is booking a trip and sign on, they will hook you up with a roommate- you do need to make it clear that you are not interrested in a dive "buddy". You also don't have to stick with the shops around you, check out web sites for shops across the country until you find one that has a trip going that fits your schedule and your diving needs. The shop I work for in Cincinnati actually has several people that travel with us on a regular basis that don't live anywhere near Cincinnati. PM me and I can give you the details on some shops/trips that might be of interrest, and get you some contact info.

The other option is I know Agressor for example will pair you up with a roommate if you need one, you might contact them to find out more. The Kona Agressor is super for the Manta experience. I would assume other live-aboard opporations have similar situations.

Hope this helps.

ArcticDiver:
The only time that has been a problem is when I tried to dive out of Nanimo, BC. There, unless I brought enough people to run the boat they weren't interested in me. Nor were they interested in adding me to another group.

Sorry to hear about your Nanaimo experience. Next time you go book with these folks http://www.divingbccanada.com/ I promise they won't treat you like that. I have seen them go out with just 3 divers. Ken figures even if he just covers costs it's better than turning away business and that makes good sense to me.

wedivebc:
Sorry to hear about your Nanaimo experience. Next time you go book with these folks http://www.divingbccanada.com/ I promise they won't treat you like that. I have seen them go out with just 3 divers. Ken figures even if he just covers costs it's better than turning away business and that makes good sense to me.

Thanks for the link. Next week the plan is to dive out of Quadra Island with a bunch of Yukoners. But there will be anothe trip later.

dnight:

Any ideas?

For poking GW's in the eye, I would suggest South Africa. However, let me describe my last "solo" vacation.

I booked a last minute fare ($200 total) to Cancun. Hopped the bus/ferry and landed in Cozumel where I had booked the Caribe Blue ($65/night). The afternoon of arrival I went for a solo shore dive from the hotel to double check weight/equpment. No flack from the dive shop other than some ooing and awing about my equipment.

Next morning I jumped on the boat, where the other single diver claimed me as his buddy. 15 minutes into the first dive I dictched him. Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, when I say ditched, I mean I stopped following him around like a puppy while he swam all over the place completely ignoring me. You don't swim in Cozumel, you drift.

From then on out I spent the rest of the boat dives with a "collective buddy". I.E. Pleanty of people to borrow or steal air from if needed, but nobody to "worry" about. Shore dives were all completely solo and very relaxing. Was able to take the time to investigate all the little plants and scope out a sea horse, many nudi's etc.

Ate breakfast at the onsite restraunt, enjoying the company of the other divers. Dinner's/drinks in town solo at great restraunts. Even found a sports bar to watch the NCAA tournament (last years) where my alma mater stomped the alma mater of the shop owner :D.

I love vacationing with my wife. Ask me in 3 weeks if I love it with wife and kid. However, I will say that this "solo" vacation was everything I'd hoped for and then some.

James

P.S. Since I had an early flight out I spent the last night in Cancun. Sorry, CM, but you'll never get me to spend a night there again...I'm still in my 30's but too old for the Cancun bar scene...

P.S.S. I have a friend with land in South Africa...when I get around to poking GW's in the eye, I will go for a visit. Room will be free and I will definatly be "solo"...

dnight,
when i go on holiday alone, i always go on a liveaboard.
most divers travel in pairs so me being the "odd" guest i often end up with a cabin all to myself while paying only the single price.
sometimes i'm given a roomate, but that has always worked out fine.
the time i spend in the cabin is for sleeping.
i've found that being with a small group of divers is always enjoyable because we all have a common interest.
regards,

dnight:
....just some additional ideas and resources for a solo diver planning a solo out-of-USA trip...
Just a thought... I'd be happy to come along and not even charge you for my time. Hell, I'll even tote gear for you :wink:

Seriously though, you raise two issues... First is the regular vacation part "solo", the second is diving solo. Most resorts will stick you with a single surcharge and there isn't much you can do about that. I suspect you could find a travel companion on one of these boards if you were willing to gamble a little.

As for the diving, I have found some resorts are WAY more accomodating than others. Some places have insisted on buddying me up. Fortunately, there has almost always been another "like-minded" person on board, and by exchanging the secret "nothing-personal-but-I-really-prefer-to-dive-alone" sign, it often worked out well. On a trip to Bonaire a few years ago, I met a guy who was a very capable diver and we agreed to meet under the boat in x minutes and surface together... worked like a charm...

Some resorts like Habitat in Curacao and Bonaire are OK with solo diving. In my experience, if you let the DM check you out for the first day and demonstrate you aren't a dork, there's no problem at all. One place I stayed in Bonaire had unlimited shore diving and it used to bug them a bit that they would find one spent tank in the morning after I'd been out for my pre-bedtime dive, so I started to bleed a second tank on shore when I went in, so it was mostly empty when I got back. It was a waste of air, but they stopped complaining! :wink:

Dnight....have you been to Bonaire??? There is a great place to stay there and they do NOT penalize the single...solo...diver. You can rent the same size room with kitchenette and all the normal stuff BY YOURSELF with no penalty.

Go to www.goldenreefinn.com and check it out. It isnt on the beach but the rooms are recently renovated and they did a great job . Email or call Liz and she will get you all squared away. They have worked a deal with Buddy Dive so that you have a place to get unlimited tanks and can use BD's facilities.

PM me if you have any questions.
rich

Rich, looks like I made a believer out of you. We need to go see Liz again. You interested in a Feb trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom