Solo = Technical Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pharmguy

Contributor
Reaction score
Woohoo!

Thanks NetDoc et al. for putting the Solo forum in the Tech Spec category. This is definitely where it should be. But could it be moved a little further from the DIR forum? - those eyes are still glaring at me.

Jason

pharmguy:
Woohoo!

Thanks NetDoc et al. for putting the Solo forum in the Tech Spec category. This is definitely where it should be. But could it be moved a little further from the DIR forum? - those eyes are still glaring at me.

Jason
So.... Glare right back.
:wink:

pharmguy:
Woohoo!

Jason

Really, I thought it would be better in the "Accidents & Incidents" forum :eyebrow:

j/k - don't get your speedos in a wad.

DIR and solo diving is just like a hard shell baptist and sex, you know they do it you just can't catch them doing it.

Captain

pharmguy:
Woohoo!

Jason

I would not consider solo diving equivalent to tech diving at all. Was there some consensus that it was or was this move the most suitable means of thread organization?

--Matt

Really, but I consider that solo divers should have the equivalent knowledge and experience like tech divers even though they will not dive in deep.

matt_unique:
I would not consider solo diving equivalent to tech diving at all. Was there some consensus that it was or was this move the most suitable means of thread organization?

--Matt

I think they put Solo under a Tech catagory because this is the collector forum for all the oddities, specialties like cave and wreck and Solo, and cults like DIR, HOG, GUE. N

I wasn't involved in the sorting decisions but would suggest that it belongs right where it is:

• Solo diving isn't recreational diving.
  • It requires many of the same techniques and gear that most folks identify with technical diving.
  • We don't have an Insane Maniacs header to put it under.
Forced integration has a way of making some folks cranky - if the DIR guys are having a problem with their new neighbors, wait until their kids start dating. :D

matt_unique:

--Matt

I agree that solo is not technical. To me technical requires techniques, equiptment, depth and breathing gases out of the ordinary range of recreational scuba. Not having a buddy on a 25 foot solo dive does not make it a technical dive.

Captain

captain:
I agree that solo is not technical. To me technical requires techniques, equiptment, depth and breathing gases out of the ordinary range of recreational scuba. Not having a buddy on a 25 foot solo dive does not make it a technical dive.

Captain

Who says a solo dive will be 25 ft and not 300 ft? All we know is the diver will be alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom