Solo sidemount configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm sure I did mention this before somewhere, this configuration is for solo dive. No buddy. But just in case sometimes I'll have a buddy with me and for some reason he does not have a redundant configuration, I can attach another 2nd stage to one of the cylinders, probably right cylinder, with a 2 meter hose.

You are using a full face mask attached to one cylinder, and a backup regulator attached to another cylinder. You will thus have plenty of gas in the backup system (if they are of equal size). Just make sure that the backup system has a short hose. A long hose would only be extra clutter with no benefit.

Why a FFM? Are you diving in contaminated water? Surely, there is no need for voice communication, diving solo... OK, I just found that post. It's a comfort issue.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 01:37 AM ----------

what means failure of exhaust valve?

It is designed to be a one way valve. If it fails then water gets in when the valve points up. Don't look up...

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 01:49 AM ----------

if you have dual tanks and it free flows

Then you feather the valve, and with correct procedures, lose 0% or gas.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 01:54 AM ----------

What happens when the mask breaks and floods? Do you grow gills?

He has a backup regulator.

Last edited:
Subcooled, have you even read the thread?

Pisoiu, honestly, I don't bother looking at how something can fail, I just assume it will fail in the worst way (ie a 1st stage would blow, a 2nd stage would quit giving air, etc etc). It could be the sun that has made it brittle, a small impact that turns into a crack during the dive, ... I really don't like the "I can't work on the procedure because it might break stuff", that means the procedure is wrong. That's my view of it, of course.

Here is a short video from the last pool training session. Sorry for poor light conditions.

[video=youtube;HDFPYIUsCh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFPYIUsCh8[/video]

The idea is to see both regulators from the mask. I know the cylinders are not in the proper position, I don't have a butt plate yet, and the thing dangling under my chest is a weigth belt, I was experimenting with various weigths to adjust my trim.

I have a FFM and the second stage attached to it has a quick disconnect; my standard safe second is for me, in case of mask loss/failure (I had the zip tie let go, and the reg come free, on a recent dive, for example).
My redundant (pony) also has a QD, to switch onto the FFM reg, and a standard safe second (again for me, in a mask failure while OOA situation).
Just my input, this seemed the most redundant way for me, and I do always carry a conventional mask, for back up, if needed.

And perhaps a spare mask will be nice to have.

Did you actually take any official training on the FFM, or did you just buy one and jump in the water? Not that I personally have an issue with winging something (as I do that myself a good bit). If you took actual training you would have learned that a spare mask is not "nice", but a necessity when diving with a FFM.

I`d made my own FFM with double 2nd stages. Selfmade FFM (FullFaceMask) reworked from Gasmask
I used it in cold water or in the acid lakes :) Place for Scary movie producton (RUS)
you can see this mask on my avatar picture :)

I always used this sidemount configuration with such config:
Left tank: 1st stage + inflator for BCD + 2nd stage to the FFM + 2nd stage with mouthpiece (spare, for me or for my buddy)
Right tank: 1st stage + inflator for Dry Suit + 2nd stage to the FFM
and I had halfmask (normal mask) as spare in my pocket.
img_3505-jpg.453666.jpg

I have used a FFM with two tanks while solo diving. It was a condition of the work I was doing (surface communication needed). The Apeks switch block was used. Here is how it was rigged: The second stage hose from both first stages were attached to the switch block. The hose to the FFM was attached to the switch block. DS and BCD could also be attached to switch block. I usually only attached the DS inflator to the switch block and had the BCD attached to the left tank. The right tank had an octopus attached in the event a problem developed with the FFM. A spare mask (termed half mask by the instructor) was also carried. The skills of switching gas supplies, dealing with problems and switching between FFM and half mask and back were practiced with an appropriate instructor prior to using this in open water. It’s not a bad setup when coms are needed.

Your adherence to the facemask is creating a dangerous situation. Why the FFM? Do you need it to communicate for work or something? You shouldn't be forced to detune (adjust) the reg you are not on just to make sure you can breath from the reg you want to be on. Doesn't leave much room for error when you are busy and not paying attention to how they sound. (Stunningly bad method of separating breathing sources.) What happens when the skirt develops a cut continuously partially flooding the mask, then what? You have a spare mask in a pocket? What happens to your air sources? Take the time to unscrew one from the mask, I mean really.

On the subject of how masks can fail...
I had the frame of a mask crack once and the lens fell out. In a FFM with no other regulator you are pretty much screwed in this kind of situation.

Back
Top Bottom