Solo Diving!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May be that I'm spoiled out here on the west coast, we might have a better class of muppet, possibly because we do have the option of solo without a card.

Bob
Most places don't allow solo even with a card. Probably ins company again. The gulf being so warm its a major vacation area.

DBF buddy

I don't think that it's a problem with the divers as much as a problem with giving students cards that are useless... It's a training problem... Zero to Hero comes to mind.... Many divers have no clue how bad they really are... They know almost nothing about the gear they dive and how to take "REALLY GOOD" care of it...

And then it's dam near impossible to help them... Because they know it all and have a card to prove it.... I help retrain class A drivers for a few company's up here in Maine.. I sit in the passenger seat and watch them grind gears and say the truck is a piece crap.... Then I swap seats and run up and down the gears without using the clutch and tell them if they want to learn, I can teach you to do the same thing... But you need to first say out loud " I don't know how to drive and I want to learn" then and only then can I teach you...

Jim...

^^^^^^^ This is so true... If the Marriage can last through the training... :wink::rofl3::banghead::laughrant: and then:cuddles:
Jim.....

My wife and I are having a ball at this. Ive been at it since the late 60's and she just started a year ago. She gets all wound up at the thought of getting wet. Got her certed OW and NITROX and started learning all over again in a place called blue lagoon. 25' deep quarry with a silty mucky bottom and fairly clear water with 25+ vis. Each time I set her up for a mild failure and she remembers it and we move on. we do share airs each time we go out. She can follow a compass quite well. We are working on shooting buoys, laying line. charting the bottom wrecks and sites. she is having a ball learning. Buddy skills are coming around as is her ability of awareness of surroundings and my presence or lack of. She is a speed demon at times. She is still new but I would take her to 60+ with out worry. We are going on a cruise this may for her first gulf diving. No matter what we make the learning fun. We re both 60ish. Next year it will be AOW for her. I am fortunate.

My wife and I are having a ball at this. Ive been at it since the late 60's and she just started a year ago. She gets all wound up at the thought of getting wet. Got her certed OW and NITROX and started learning all over again in a place called blue lagoon. 25' deep quarry with a silty mucky bottom and fairly clear water with 25+ vis. Each time I set her up for a mild failure and she remembers it and we move on. we do share airs each time we go out. She can follow a compass quite well. We are working on shooting buoys, laying line. charting the bottom wrecks and sites. she is having a ball learning. Buddy skills are coming around as is her ability of awareness of surroundings and my presence or lack of. She is a speed demon at times. She is still new but I would take her to 60+ with out worry. We are going on a cruise this may for her first gulf diving. No matter what we make the learning fun. We re both 60ish. Next year it will be AOW for her. I am fortunate.

Sounds like all us old school divers have the same approach to training our spouses to be really good divers... Let them get the OW card and then start over from scratch..... Make them real divers, Safe divers, Real Buddy divers and safe to be solo divers...

Jim...

Sounds like all us old school divers have the same approach to training our spouses to be really good divers... Let them get the OW card and then start over from scratch..... Make them real divers, Safe divers, Real Buddy divers and safe to be solo divers...

Jim...

I would, but my wife is not going to be a diver. She will only snorkel (in warm water) if I'm there holding her hand. I think she hears Jaw's music in her head as soon as she gets in the water.

Bob

prone
prōn/
adjective
  1. 1.
    likely to or liable to suffer from, do, or experience something, typically something regrettable or unwelcome.
    "years of logging had left the mountains prone to mudslides"
    synonyms: susceptible, vulnerable, subject, open, liable, given, predisposed, likely, disposed, inclined, apt;
    at risk of
    "untreated wood is prone to rotting"
  2. 2.
    lying flat, especially face downward.

I was referring to the first definition given, had to check because sometimes spell check bites me in the a**.

Bob
:rofl3::dork2: Haha...that's awesome. I am extremely literate and very detail oriented, which makes it even more hilarious (to me) that I only thought of the second definition for your use of the word "prone." :dork2:

:rofl3::dork2: Haha...that's awesome. I am extremely literate and very detail oriented, which makes it even more hilarious (to me) that I only thought of the second definition for your use of the word "prone." :dork2:

I read too much, and shoot too little.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom