Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove "solo" on a few occasions- but never totally alone:

Shallow, with a diver observing from a boat above the site.
or
While taking pictures in sight of a group/buddy pair that were aware of my presence.
or
With a group of students and their instructor-"shadowing" the group- but not actually a part of the group( with the knowledge and blessing of the instructor".)

Of course , the conditions were optimum for "solo" safety-minimum risk for entanglement, people "nearby",a familiar dive site....
Perhaps the term "buddiless" would be more appropriate than "solo"? However, I did realize the conditions, and under those circumstances, took the gamble. Whatever you wish to call it, it is not a good idea unless all the conditions are right.

I must add that there have been times when I felt the buddy I was paired with (on vacation, diving from a boat owned/operated by a dive shop at the site) increased, rather than lessened, the overall level of risk.
In any event, it is not a decision to be made lightly.
MikeD

My 'normal' dive routine is what I'd like to call 'solo, with friend'. Sometimes denigrated as 'same day, same ocean', but done with the intention of each diver being independant.

This to me is the perfect balance - each dive is aware that they are responsible for their own fate, but do casual buddy checks before getting wet, and anytime that they feel inclined underwater. We normally follow around in a similar area, and will go find the other diver(s) to point out things of interest, or to ask for assistance with a task (like grabbing a particular crayfish etc). However, losing sight of the other person for 5 min or so is common, and does not require the PADI surface and regroup approach.

So, we get to share the experience, but each diver is completely responsible for their own dive, navigation, and self rescue if required.

I will add the note that this style is generally limited to shallower dives - ie <30m / 100f - and where all divers are comfortable with it. With less experienced divers I will 'buddy up', but always feel like I'm constrained, and baby sitting them to some extent.

I gues I prefer the solo with friend approach, as I don't like the feeling of being responsible for another diver on normal dives. I like the freedom to be able to be wedged head down a crack or hole for a few minutes, without having to worry about another diver wandering off.

ciao
Mike
(Is it just me, or are there WAY to many Mikes on these boards?)

You got it. I think MOST of us (at least most of the divers I know) do exactly that. I don't like diving with divers that I have to babysit either. It seems as though the new divers need the most help, and are also the ones who are most likely to stick to the letter of the law on the buddy thing. I WILL be a close buddy, but unless I go into the dive expecting it (ie assisting a class) I resent paying a boat fee to have my dive disturbed by another diver who isn't familiar with his/her equipment or diving skills.

A lot of good points have been made here.
I would just like to say that if it comes down to not diving at all
or diving alone, then I’m going Solo. In addition I’d like to say
that whenever I am elected to be a dive buddy or asked by someone t0o be their buddy I try to be the best buddy that I can. I make an effort to learn a little about my buddy, about his equipment, how his weight system works and where his alternate air supply is located. When diving I do not venture far from my buddy. I stay close and remain attentive. This of course
takes away some of the freedom of my dive, but hey ..
I get all the freedom I need when I’m diving Solo ……

Arduous

Hey Sharpenu, Yes SDI is offering a solo diver specialty course. Prerequisites are 100 verified, logged dives and at least advanced certified. Rescue is even better. Course is devoted to reduntant/redundant philosophies and self rescue skills.

I think one person put it very well when they said if you have a question about it then >>>> DON"T DO IT !!!
I too am willing to be the perfect buddy when I need to. but when I am pleasure diving for myself. No buddies please, except for a very few trusted friends.
Have any of you out there tried "Black Water diving". Try buddy diving there !!!! By the way it has to rate as my favorite dive.
there is something about descending 45' thru the blackness with your lights out, wondering when (or where) you will hit bottom.
I would say it is a guy thing, but I know at least one female that loves it too.
right Watergal ?????

Happy diving all !

foothillsdiver
To Rick M.
"Nope... the only Dothan shop I've ever been to was on the South side of town on 231 and I don't recall the name - they had their own covered pool. We just stopped there for some gas on the way to Jackson Blue.
Rick"
That is Diver's Den.
Rick was also the owners name a while back but he has sold out and moved on. thought it might be you.

While diving the Yukon in San Diego, I went off the boat as the first guy in a threesome. I waited at 20 ft for the other guys to descend. Finally, a buddy team showed up and I started to follow them, but they were the wrong guys. I headed back to the line, and waited a little longer. When no one else came down, I decided to go solo.

Calm seas, no current, good vis, no penetration, dive boats tied to the bow and stern: no problem.

Turns out one of my "buddies" didn't know an inflator from a dump. In this rare case, I may have been safer diving solo.

:confused:Ok, foothills, you got me here--I can't decide whether to be vaguely pleased at the personal reference or vaguely irked for the implication to the rest of my gender. I seem to recall a certain young lady from Atlanta essentally dragging her hubby/buddy by the bungie cord to get him back in after the SI, don't you?

More on topic, as I seem to have been "outed" by foothillsdiver:boom:, I will confess, yes, I do and will dive solo under some conditions which I consider to be low risk of getting into a situation that I need help to get out of safely. Under most conditions I would prefer to have a good buddy for many reasons, not just safety. I have more than once called off dives I wanted badly to do for lack of a buddy, or a suitable buddy, despite having a reasonable solo gear setup.

my 2¢: It has been my perception that divers who appear efficient, well prepared, comfortable and effective soloing do not draw attention to this, while the divers in a group who loudly proclaim they are not going to buddy up are are often people no one else wants to dive with.

Uh, oh! Should I duck now?

cheers!

Just courious how many of you fellow solo divers log those dives? I record every dive, and was just courious as to those that don't and why. Are they verified? (to me all my dives are verified, reguardless as to their validity to ones affiliation of choice)

Dive safe,

STT :jester:

Yup. I log all dives.

Almost all of my dives involve other divers present either in the water, on a boat, or watching bubbles from land and can be verified. I note the names in the log. I can only think of a handful of short dives, mostly recovering fishing tackle, testing something out etc. which could not be verified if need be.

I only have my logbook signed for official "training dives" now. No real reason other than having a log book I would rather not take along to get wet and salty, so it is not always convenient. Even when I could easily have a buddy (or observer) sign, I have stopped asking--I think I might be embarrassed about my abysmal penmanship!:goofy:

But it's ok, I'm entitled:doctor:

Please understand I an not advocating any of the practices I have discussed--just chatting about what I do.

Ciao

Back
Top Bottom