Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fairly certain I understand the context of the original quote as well as how it is commonly used today... In both ways it applies. As to "blinkered by adherence to a single methodology" I'm pretty sure all of the main scuba certifying agencies still and in the past have adhered to the buddy method... regardless of if they now have a solo diving specialty course.

GI 2nd: "I don't dive with strokes". That's the quote. You used it in a solo diving thread. Hilarious :D

More ironic humor? When agencies like PADI, TDI/SDI, IANTD, ANDI, SSI etc have solo diver courses..which have been discussed earlier in the thread? :D

GI 2nd: "I don't dive with strokes". That's the quote. You used it in a solo diving thread. Hilarious :D

More ironic humor? When agencies like PADI, TDI/SDI, IANTD, ANDI, SSI etc have solo diver courses..which have been discussed earlier in the thread? :D

and those agencies are great examples of not promoting stroke ****?

1.) Read my post, despite their being specialty courses for solo diving (I mean clearly there's a market for them looking at this thread) they still contend through out all the rest of their courses that buddy diving is the safest way, if they thought solo diving was safest wouldn't they be teaching it in their open water classes? 2.) Who is GI 2nd? 3.) Are you sure you know what the word stroke even means?

1) Since when was this about "safest"? The courses are offered on the basis that proper training enables an expansion of activity undertaken. Kinda like doing a GUE Cave course, before going in a cave. Stating that untrained divers shouldn't enter caves, is not the same as stating that cave diving is unsafe. You might state that cave diving is less safe than open water diving though. Why does GUE and UTD advocate less safe diving activities.... OMG!?!?

2) You tell me...you're the one with DIR Practitioner as their tag.

3) Very simply put, a "stroke" is somebody you don't want to dive with. It is somebody who will cause you problems, or not be any use to you if you have problems. Usually, this is a reflection of the attitude of a stroke, but that can be inherent in the personality of the individual, or others can teach it.

For instance, if somebody is taught that diving is an "every man for himself" sport, that you "can't help somebody deep," that "my gas is my gas," or "know when to leave your buddy," then that is somebody you do not want to be in the water with. Some people are natural strokes, but all too many are created. Unfortunately, people believe best what they hear first, and given the low-level food chain structure of dive instruction, most strokes are man-made, and are then hard to fix.

Obvious strokes are not so bad - you can see them and you know to avoid them. Frequently they will give it away with their choice of gear and gear configuration. If you see something that is a complete mess, makes no sense, is less than optimal, or is designed to accommodate some phobia while ignoring all else, you are dealing with a stroke. If the stroke is pontificating about how he can "handle" deep air diving, or obsessing about depth, or appears to be trying to compensate for internal fears, this is an obvious stroke and you merely avoid them.

The really insidious strokes are those who pretend to be squared away, but are in this game for all the wrong reasons. Usually they wish to prove something to themselves or others, or to overcome some internal fears. These tend to try to do things that they are not ready to do, and when something goes wrong, they flee for their lives.

Diving is not an intuitive thing. It is not a natural thing. Natural reactions of human beings on dry land do not work underwater. To be a good diver, you have to control your natural responses, and know that they can only hurt you, not help you. A stroke cannot do that. A stroke is driven by fear, ego, bull**** and self-concern.

1) Since when was this about "safest"? The courses are offered on the basis that proper training enables an expansion of activity undertaken. Kinda like doing a GUE Cave course, before going in a cave. Stating that untrained divers shouldn't enter caves, is not the same as stating that cave diving is unsafe. You might state that cave diving is less safe than open water diving though. Why does GUE and UTD advocate less safe diving activities.... OMG!?!?

3) Very simply put, a "stroke" is somebody you don't want to dive with. It is somebody who will cause you problems, or not be any use to you if you have problems. Usually, this is a reflection of the attitude of a stroke, but that can be inherent in the personality of the individual, or others can teach it.

For instance, if somebody is taught that diving is an "every man for himself" sport, that you "can't help somebody deep," that "my gas is my gas," or "know when to leave your buddy," then that is somebody you do not want to be in the water with. Some people are natural strokes, but all too many are created. Unfortunately, people believe best what they hear first, and given the low-level food chain structure of dive instruction, most strokes are man-made, and are then hard to fix.

Obvious strokes are not so bad - you can see them and you know to avoid them. Frequently they will give it away with their choice of gear and gear configuration. If you see something that is a complete mess, makes no sense, is less than optimal, or is designed to accommodate some phobia while ignoring all else, you are dealing with a stroke. If the stroke is pontificating about how he can "handle" deep air diving, or obsessing about depth, or appears to be trying to compensate for internal fears, this is an obvious stroke and you merely avoid them.

The really insidious strokes are those who pretend to be squared away, but are in this game for all the wrong reasons. Usually they wish to prove something to themselves or others, or to overcome some internal fears. These tend to try to do things that they are not ready to do, and when something goes wrong, they flee for their lives.

Diving is not an intuitive thing. It is not a natural thing. Natural reactions of human beings on dry land do not work underwater. To be a good diver, you have to control your natural responses, and know that they can only hurt you, not help you. A stroke cannot do that. A stroke is driven by fear, ego, bull**** and self-concern.

well at least your copy and paste are working.

Beware of the insidious strokes!

2.) Who is GI 2nd?

I believe that he is talking about George Irvine III, but to the unlearned, self-trained DIR/DIW masses of scuba board what is the difference?

1)
Since when was this about "safest"? The courses are offered on the basis that proper training enables an expansion of activity undertaken. Kinda like doing a GUE Cave course, before going in a cave. Stating that untrained divers shouldn't enter caves, is not the same as stating that cave diving is unsafe. You might state that cave diving is less safe than open water diving though. Why does GUE and UTD advocate less safe diving activities.... OMG!?!?

I think that GUE/UTD/All other Training Organizations recognize that when entering a cave the untrained diver is put into an extremely unsafe situation. Untrained divers shouldn’t enter caves but they do… guess what those divers entering the caves may make it out, a few will be so scared that they never try again, and a few will think they can do a little bit more; this effect results in a staggering amount of cave diving related deaths.

However having proper training allows people to enjoy cave diving with the highest margin of safety possible, they (the Training organizations) are not stressing less safe diving practices but instead they advocate diving in the safest way possible.

1)

The really insidious strokes are those who pretend to be squared away, but are in this game for all the wrong reasons. Usually they wish to prove something to themselves or others, or to overcome some internal fears.

I realize that George is revered, but his beliefs are slightly flawed and possibly misunderstood.

I think for the most part this is because instructors of the two main training organizations (padi/naui) teach scuba as a means to make a living, cutting standards and not teaching properly and are only in it to make money. In effect the strokes are those who teach everything as they think they know what they are talking about. How many instructors stop taking classes thinking they know everything? How many instructors conduct a ten minute dive on their knees, go to the surface and then bring the crew back down for dive number two?

I don’t think you can say that people are natural strokes, everyone should not be able to dive that is true which goes to the discretion of the instructor so every person certified by him/her reflects on the instructors diving ability, making the instructor the natural stroke.

Being Ignorant doesn’t make people “strokes,” Strokes make people strokes.

Saying solo diving is safe is a lie, avoiding entanglements doesn’t make sense, you can’t plan for everything,

Entanglements cannot always be identified or even noticed, you get stuck then what?

people have heart attacks>no buddy means you are dead.

Equipment Fails

People abuse their know limits, thinking they can overcome obstacles

Overall Solo Diving is Stupid, as you cannot address all of these problems

Last edited:
I think that [-]GUE/UTD/[/-]All other Training Organizations recognize that when [-]entering a cave[/-] solo diving the untrained diver is put into an extremely unsafe situation. Untrained divers shouldn’t [-]enter caves[/-] solo dive but they do… guess what those divers [-]entering the caves[/-] solo diving may make it out, a few will be so scared that they never try again, and a few will think they can do a little bit more; this effect results in a staggering amount of [-]cave[/-] solo diving related deaths. However having proper training allows people to enjoy [-]cave[/-] solo diving with the highest margin of safety possible, they (the Training organizations) are not stressing less safe diving practices but instead they advocate diving in the safest way possible.

Edited to illustrate a point. :wink:

I realize that George is revered, but his beliefs are slightly flawed and possibly misunderstood.

I agree. If the guy had taken diplomacy and communication lessons, then I think his opinions would have been much more widely lauded amongst the diving community. A lot of what he said at that time was just as beneficial for the community as the insights offered by people like Exley. However, Exley got praised, Irvine got (generally) scorned.

'DIR' was (initially) presented as a strict methodology... a 'dogma'. Exley presented 'principles'. In what he wrote, Exley was just as vehement in his opinions - but avoided being (mis)interpreted because he didn't deal with absolutes on a micro-management basis. He dealt with the generic 'big picture', wheras Irvine dealt with specifics - procedures and configurations.

I think we can all agree about the existence of 'strokes' - but our definition of a 'stroke' varies depending on whether we define them by what they don't do, rather than by what they do. It also matters whether our definition derives from an assessment of someones actual diving capacity... or whether it's simplistically based upon whether someone adheres to a methodology or dogma that we ourselves believe in.

A dogmatic evaluation says: "You aren't doing it like this, therefore it is unsafe".

A principled evaluation says: "You are doing this, but you aren't doing that. On that basis, you are unsafe".

Specifically, with regard to solo diving activities, the difference in approach can be illustrated by:

A dogmatic evaluation says: "You must have team support to mitigate X, Y and Z risks".

A principled evaluations says: "X, Y and Z risks exists. You must effectively mitigate those risks".

With respect to solo diving.... what matters? Does it matter if a diver adheres to a team diving doctrine - thus making any solo activity 'stroke-like'? Or does it matter more if a diver adheres to intelligent diving principles, ensuring that they have prepared for and reasonably mitigated any foreseeable risks?

"Saying solo diving is safe is a lie, avoiding entanglements doesn’t make sense, you can’t plan for everything,"

You can plan for everything reasonably foreseeable. The dive community, as a body, does understand the risks and does have ways to mitigate risks.

This applies to any diving activity, not just solo. Cave diving has risks. Decompression has risks. Wreck penetration has risks. You can't plan for everything - but you can plan to mitigate reasonable foreseeable risks.

"Entanglements cannot always be identified or even noticed, you get stuck then what?"

What would a GUE trained cave-diver do if they were entangled in a restriction, where their team couldn't assist them? Entanglements can be dealt with or they cannot. Appropriate training, practice and psychological control will resolve these issues in most circumstances. If they can't resolve the issue, then the issue obviously wasn't reasonably foreseeable.

people have heart attacks>no buddy means you are dead.

Does that differ in a cave? Or on a staged decompression dive?

The risk of serious medical illness occurring during a scuba dive presents a significant and invariably fatal risk to any scuba diver. Any step beyond shallow open-water diving complicates those risks. There are a multitude of factors which impact on survivability in this instance - being alone is just one of them. Depth, overhead, distance from professional medical care are others.

1. You shouldn't _________ because you might have a heart attack.

(a) Solo Dive.
(b) Cave Dive.
(c) Dive beyond 60ft.
(d) Dive in locations more than 20 minutes from a primary care medical facility.
(e) Get off the couch.

If you have a heart attack on a solo dive, then nobody will assist you. You will probably die, if incapacitated by that medical event. Likewise, being surrounded by the best diving team in the world won't mitigate the risks or repercussions of a heart attack, if you have that heart attack 800m into a cave system. It would just mean your body got recovered quicker.

Solo, cave, deco...whatever... the danger of heart attack is mitigated by being health conscious in your lifestyle, obtaining frequent medical check-ups... and being honest in your self-assessment of whether to conduct a dive or not.

Equipment Fails

Equipment failure can be mitigated as a risk. Effective training should deal with this. Equipment failure is a comparable risk to the solo diver, as it is to the diver in an overhead (hard or virtual) environment.

People abuse their know limits, thinking they can overcome obstacles

Diver mindset can be dealt with during effective training. Again, this is just as applicable to technical or cave diving, as it is to solo diving.

Exceeding, or not understanding, your limits in relation to the dives you undertake... is a fundamental diving failure. It doesn't matter what diving activity that pertains to.. what matters is whether the diver has the training, skills, procedures, equipment and mindset to mitigate risks and reasonably assure their safety.

Overall Solo Diving is Stupid, as you cannot address all of these problems

When viewed from the perspective of 'risks versus mitigation', the only risk mitigation technique that cannot be applied on solo dives is the concept of team/buddy support. The absence of one single factor, does not negate the presence of other factors. Providing that all reasonably foreseeable risks can be mitigated, I don't see how you can differentiate on the grounds of safety purely on the basis of how risks are mitigated.

Team diving is an effective risk mitigation technique.
Equipment and gas redundancy is an effective risk mitigation technique.
Diving within your personal limits, based on effective self-assessment of capability versus demand, is an effective risk mitigation technique.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, getting medical checks frequently and not diving if you feel unwell is an effective risk mitigation technique.
Being properly equipped and trained to deal with entanglements is an effective risk mitigation technique.
Precision dive and gas planning is an effective risk mitigation technique.
...and so on and so on and so on....

The 'problems' you have highlighted primarily concern the diver, not the dive. They are all generic problems - irrespective of the dive environment or activity.

The 'solution' (team/buddy support) you are suggesting is one solitary risk mitigation technique. It's absence does not automatically dictate irresponsibility or a decrease in overall safety - providing that the diver concerned has actually sought to effectively mitigate the risks that they will be exposed to.

When I consider the people who call others "stroke" I'm happy to be one of them (the strokes that is). In case you ever want to pick me out in a crowd; I'm the one talking to divers from all [-]religions[/-] agencies and just having fun.

It's only diving, not rocket surgery.

Practitioner... the things some people call themselves. I wonder if they have these issues with gorse perambulators over on the hiking forum. Referring to oneself in such lofty terms might be a form of "ego stroking" no?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom