Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with TMHeimer. Over the last 45+ years, the majority of my dives have been solo and have followed these three guidelines. However, diving solo has caused me to develop some rather anti-social diving habits. That is, I tend to be one of those "same ocean" dive buddies you hear about. Until a couple of years ago, this wasn't really a problem because what dive buddies I did have were also solo divers and were adequately self-sufficient. But since my sons started diving, I've had to make some changes and be more attentive when they dive with me.

I'm lucky (I think) in being the exact opposite when with a buddy. Like you're supposed to, I'm constantly keeping track of the buddy and get annoyed if he/she isn't doing the same. Maybe that's a plus in going solo, as I can concentrate on what I want to, like collecting shells.

Here is the real truth.

Unless you are the exceptional diver that Doppler speaks of, at 50 dives this solo discussion is mute, course or no course. It should take about six months to read all the relavant threads in the solo forum. Better yet skip the crap and go diving 1 a week for six months in different locations and double your dive count, then take a solo course.
Eric

The solo diver needs to be confident of their abilities - but this confidence shouldn't be driven by a subjective ego-driven self-assessment. It should be based upon evidence. It should also be reinforced by peer/mentor review. The evidence you look for is past performance under worst-case scenarios - both diving and non-diving. That means drawing upon your experiences. How did you handle problems underwater previously? How do you manage your stress under pressure?

If you haven't had sufficient experience to yet encounter serious problems underwater, then you're not in a position to use experience as an assessment tool. Likewise, if you've never been in a highly stressed situation, you have no capacity to judge your psychological thresholds. Sorry, but that's true. In my opinion, 'highly stressed' means you're thinking "I could die now", because you could die now - coupled with a short time-scale to effect a life-saving resolution.

If you can't use experience for self-assessment, then you need to seek an alternative. That alternative is a suitably experienced (see above) peer, mentor or instructor. They will/can put you into safe, simulated scenarios to assess how you would perform. That, to me, is the critical psychological component of solo diver, tech diver, cave diver training. Most divers who go through this training enjoy a shocking realisation about the true level of their capabilities. That's a great catalyst for learning and development. It also tends to turn an over-confident diver into a cautious one.

THAT is very true.

-Mitch

Wait, wait, wait, please don't tell me there is a certification for solo diving. Most of my diving is solo., and always has been. I live close to the ocean, and I can jump in tthe car and hit the water whenever the mood strikes me. Not being able to solo dive is like not being able to drive by yourself, or go hiking alone. The notion that solo diving is wrong is just plain stupid. I know what the convential wisdom is, and the great masses of c card owners who are afraid of the water and blow through a tank in 20 minutes do need someone to hold their hand. In fact, they should limit their diving to Wii, or watch a National Geographic special. In the final analysis, We are always solo divers.

I agree with with this line of thinking some what. I too live close to the water. All my life my free time has been spent on, in, under or around the ocean. I dive on a whim sometimes, If a block of time opens up, I go diving.
I don't think you can put number on the amount of dives before you are ready to solo. Nor do I think anyone on this board can tell you when you are ready to solo. Some divers will never be ready to solo. For me, it's about mindset and comfort in the water. Let's face it, If you can't do an emergency swimming ascent, or are afraid to try from at least 35' you can't even think about solo diving. Only you know when you are ready.
My only guideline for solo diving is below 50 I sometimes use a pony bottle.

I guess I too am guilty of "solo" diving. I live on a shallow lake and will sometimes finish up a tank that has 1000-1500 lbs of air in about 10-20' of water. During this time I do all the usual stuff, mask flood and clear, changing regs, setting weights, CSEA when possible, etc. I do however tow a flag and let people know where I go. Would I say do a solo in the St. Lawrence, not with out proper training and a secondary air source regardless of depth. I am however fortunate that I have a few divers in my circle that can dive at the drop of a hat. I find that the more the merrier.:coffee:

The other approach for the original poster to become more effective at building buddy teams. Admittedly that is hard with an instabuddy. But a good pre-dive briefing can address the dive goal, navigation plan, gas plan, deco plan etc. Being an effective team can be a learned skill as well.

Allright, here's a question for all of you… how many of you solo dive.

I will dive solo from time to time. Most of my solo dives have been in Bonaire when I want to do a dive but my buddy doesn't feel up to it so off I go. The only thing I do differently than a buddy dive is watch my depth and limit it to 50 ft. Since I am usually doing video I'm probably at 25 to 30 ft anyway. Never took a solo course and don't see the need at this point for the diving I described.

As I mentioned, my solo diving is almost never below 30'. I know many people go solo to all sorts of depths. I know a very experienced respected instructor who goes to 100' with no pony. Just curious--If you're down that deep, do you always carry a pony? If not, and your reg completely craps out what do you do, try a CESA? make a buoyant ascent?

Solo diving is dangerous, crazy and should be outlawed.

Solo divers shoulde be banned from Scubaboard, banned from public speaking, and they all should be sterilized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom