• Yes, but I prefer a buddy

Votes: 194 50.0%
  • Yes, I prefer to dive solo

Votes: 135 34.8%
  • Buddies are for wimps and the insecure

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dive with a buddy while spearfishing. It took some getting used to, but it's really hard to have one if you both want the same fish. We do meet up with each other periodically, and give a wave, but for the most part, it's solo. When not shooting, I dive with a buddy. It's more fun for me when diving a wreck to share that experience with someone. My 2 cents.

Being an underwater photographer, I prefer to dive solo and have done so repeatedly. Night diving below 80 feet, I prefer to dive within the area where I could see the lights of the other divers or the boat lights. If I am down to the last 500 psi, I prefer to be within the 30 foot depth with or without a buddy, night or day time.

No - Never.

Obviously I am new to diving, but growing up talking to divers I was always told never to solo dive. Even today it seems like a big "No no". Not trying to say anything bad about those that Solo, but as a Husband and Father of two, I can't seem to justify that kind of added risk in any way.

At least if you have a buddy and something goes wrong, you have some assistance. Unless they panic and get the heck out of town, or cause the problem.

If you survived the dive you were within your limits.

The good thing about a dry suit with a pee valve is that it's okay to piss myself when I'm scared. :D

My limits for solo diving are the same limits I have with a buddy. If I wouln't dive it solo, I wouldn't dive it with a buddy.

I never do it; 2 reasons:

1\ I'm not trained to dive solo.

2\ don't have the necessary equipment for such dives (pony or at least H-valve tank)

My limits for solo diving are the same limits I have with a buddy. If I wouln't dive it solo, I wouldn't dive it with a buddy.

That's pretty much the way I feel with certain exceptions. I have been on a few dives that I'd rather not do without a buddy but there have been very few in that category.

Walter is dead on. Things that cause panic, fear happen quickly. In seconds!! A buddy off 20' photographing a sponge etc may take many more seconds than you have, before it dawns on him to look for you. You must make a quick decision in an emergency. Remember- "stop, think, plan then act" . This can happen and should happen pretty quickly. Having a buddy is great and I suggest everyone if possible dive with a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom