solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...........how safe is it to dive solo for whom? Most divers shouldn't ever dive solo. Solo diving requires a great deal of experience and a very high skill level. There are divers who dive solo every day, but it's not for everyone. Even a diver with the skills and experience is at greater risk diving solo in the event of unexpected medical problems such as a heart attack or an allergic reaction to a bristle worm sting.

WWW™

Solo diving is a question that gets a great deal of debate and requires careful consideration. Each diver is different and has a different definition for what represents risky behavior. As someone who has a wife and 2 little kids, solo diving is something I will never do. This doesn't mean I think no one should ever attempt solo diving -- it's just my decision based on my own risk tolerance. I am also a relative newbie (25 dives) and have no business solo diving from an experience standpoint.

For someone who has 100+ dives under their belt, dives a few times every week (skills are VERY current) and finds that they are self-sufficient in and underwater (good physical and mental shape, redundant equipment, etc.) -- solo diving is probably worth considering. Dive conditions are also an important consideration -- solo dives should probably be dives where you are not pushing the envelope (sites that you already know well, shallower depths, low/no danger of boat traffic, no currents, etc.). One other factoid -- TDI/SDI is now offering a solo dive certification. I don't want to open the "solo dive cert" can of worms here, but one of the requirements they are putting into place is that participants must have 100+ logged dives to participate in this course.

Hope this is helpful.

I solo dive on occasion and as a result have a VERY healthy respect for the water. Of course I have total system redundancy and tend to stay shallow. I will say it has made me a better diver (or I feel it has anyway) and although I've been diving for just over six years and have many dives logged, I never treat this practice lightly.

There is an article on solo diving at PADI's web site (www.padi.com) at the moment for those interested in a quick read.

.........a very well written article. Cheryl, take note; I agree with the official PADI party line on this topic.

WWW™

That makes two of us. :)

~SubMariner~

What is the world coming to? PADI saying something that we all agree with. This is truly a scary precedent to set!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom