Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron:
My PADI instructor was not fond of the buddie system, I think his exact words were "Padi requires me to tell you that the buddy system is vital, never go diving without a buddy...seesh, if you're salvage diving in a cave, and one runs out of air, the guy with the bigger knife is the one that emerges...I don't know what happened officer, we got seperated."
That doesn't surprise me ... ask your instructor which LDS in the greater Puget Sound area has suffered the most number of diver (and staff) fatalities over the past few years. If he doesn't tell you ... ask him if he knew Ben Girard, and how he died.

No kidding ... attitudes like his ain't funny ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, that was back in Austin, he did all lot of his diving in east Texas, swamps and stuff... Said he was well known though... Told us that if he goes on a trip and is told one of his students was there looking like ad idiot trying to descend with an inflated BC and swimming down, he would hunt us down and take away our cert. card for embarrassing him.

Kwbyron:
My PADI instructor was not fond of the buddie system, I think his exact words were "Padi requires me to tell you that the buddy system is vital, never go diving without a buddy...seesh, if you're salvage diving in a cave, and one runs out of air, the guy with the bigger knife is the one that emerges...I don't know what happened officer, we got seperated."
Well, now that I've dived with Kevin I have to say something ... his PADI instructor may have a strange sense of humor, but the guy sure knows how to teach scuba diving.

Kevin had 16 dives prior to tonight. And yet his descent was perfect, trim was excellent, buddy skills were solid, and buoyancy control was spot on. I felt like I was diving with a very experienced diver. At one point I spun around and started reverse kicking ... figuring I'd watch him for a couple of minutes to see if I could pick up on something to help him with. He spun around and started reverse kicking right next to me ... color me impressed.

This young man can dive with me anytime ... of course, his goal is to be able to dive without a buddy. Kevin ... you're not ready yet, but you're on the right road.

So who said PADI instructors can't turn out good divers ... I went out there tonight thinking I might be able to teach him something. I left thinking that a year from now, he'll be teaching me ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That doesn't surprise me ... ask your instructor which LDS in the greater Puget Sound area has suffered the most number of diver (and staff) fatalities over the past few years. If he doesn't tell you ... ask him if he knew Ben Girard, and how he died.

No kidding ... attitudes like his ain't funny ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
PS - wrong shop.

Can somebody tell me whether crow tastes good with ketchup?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom