solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Just Saturday I was diving at around 30 feet when I spotted a a Jimmy Buffet CD laying on the bottom, I grabbed it and tucked it away when I noticed a nice lure. I grabbed the knife and cut it free and was stowing both when I suddenly noticed a large snake coming at me. At first I thought it an eel and then I was certain it was a big snake. Yep!!!!!!it is a snake, I was swatting at it, it was trying to bite me and somehow I grabbed it by the tail. This was bad!!!, Now if I had a buddy I could have given him the snake but being as I was solo I began twirling the snake about and it was trying to bite and I was swimming all over twisitng and turning all the while holding the snake by the tail. I was somewhat concerned as to my strategy not being all that smart so I grabbed my knife and then began trying to slice his head off and all the while he was still trying to bite me! I guess the snake decided he was not all that smart either and we called a mutual draw and I retreated at high speed as did he. Aside from being able to hand a buddy the snake and assuming willingness on his part to take it the only other advantage I see to having a buddy would have been getting his take on the entire episode. N
The other advantage to a buddy would have been verification of this amazing story, Mister Nemrod Dundee. :D

rubberduck:
I don't know if this is the correct forum and I realize this ia a heated topic (not looking to create a controversy or heated debat).

What are your thoughts about solo diving from shore at a depth no greater then 15-20 ft? I'd love to take a couple of tanks with me the next time I go with the wife and kids, they can enjoy a day in the sun and with a little luck I can catch a few bugs.

I would never think of doing a depth greater then 20 ft without a buddy but at the sight I'm thinking of your usually 15' down to get to the lobsters.

The only way you will know if you like it, is to try it. Make a plan!
My big concern in theee begining was getting lost. So, I dove a lot of jetties. Follow the rocks out, follow the rocks back. Easy reference. Today sharing a lobster dive at 25-30ft with a friend would be fun. But, after some 20 odd years of diviing the idea of diving deeper then 50ft WITH a buddy makes me nervous. Unless I know the person very well, and know their skill I would rather not dive with them.
This past Sunday I managed to drop my anchor in the middle of a sunken barge at 100ft. followed down the anchor line, tied in the anchor, tied my reel to the anchor chain and explored for about 15 minutes. It was dark as nite (L.I. Sound) vis about 3 ft. afabulous time.

Back
Top Bottom