solo diving/ pony tank rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist, how hard is it to remove and attach the valve once you arrive. (sounds easy, but i dont have one in front of me. )

What @WarrenZ said, but I find it easier to hold the tank with two hands and lightly tap the valve knob a couple of times on something wooden (structure, pole, tree, etc.). It doesn’t take much to compress the o-ring for a proper seal. No tools required to install or remove. Taking your own tank will save you a ton of money over time.

When I pack the tank in my checked bag I place a clear bag over the top with a rubber band around the body. This protects the interior and allows TSA to inspect the tank without suspicion. Enjoy your diving.

I am looking at heading to Curacao in the near future. I solo dive, have my self reliant card so i could rent pony bottles easily in Bonaire. Will I be able to rent a pony bottle setup in Curacao? Also, will i get an hassle over diving solo from shore?

1. Pony. As other suggested bringing your in is the first best option. If you are planning on renting a pony for the week, check with the dive op you plan on using and they should be able to arrange. I bring my own but have seen ops that can provide, usually with advance notice. I bring a six, packed into check in with valve removed. I put the valve on hand tighten and get an op to fill. Pretty easy. No need to mention solo diving when getting your pony filled.

2. Solo. Solo is still op based as some allow, some don't, some say they don't but do, some say they do but don't. If not diving with an op on a beach using their facilities, you can solo just about anywhere from any beach where you could buddy dive. If you walk up to the op with facilities on the beach and say you want to solo dive and rent from them you will get mixed results. If you have your own gear and drive up to a public beach, you can gear up and go. The op has a say when you use their equipment and/or their facilities.

Solo is still op based as some allow, some don't, some say they don't but do, some say they do but don't. If not diving with an op on a beach using their facilities, you can solo just about anywhere from any beach where you could buddy dive. If you walk up to the op with facilities on the beach and say you want to solo dive and rent from them you will get mixed results. If you have your own gear and drive up to a public beach, you can gear up and go. The op has a say when you use their equipment and/or their facilities.

^^^ this ^^^

What @WarrenZ said, but I find it easier to hold the tank with two hands and lightly tap the valve knob a couple of times on something wooden (structure, pole, tree, etc.). It doesn’t take much to compress the o-ring for a proper seal. No tools required to install or remove. Taking your own tank will save you a ton of money over time.

When I pack the tank in my checked bag I place a clear bag over the top with a rubber band around the body. This protects the interior and allows TSA to inspect the tank without suspicion. Enjoy your diving.
thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom