Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nem, when the idea of a seperate solo forum was discussed I was for it but now not so much just for the points you made. Frankly I am to the point where I think this forum should be done away with.
We go on and on about experience, equipment, locations, training but in reality it is just a personal decision. Either you do it or you don't, either you use ten tons of equipment or you use one pound of equipment, you stay shallow or you go deep, only known sites or unknown sites, just decisions, make them wisely.

I'm a newbie with 0 solo dives.But I know that I WILL solo when I think I'm ready.
Other than in person,this forum is a rare resource for (possible/future)solo divers.I would much rather decide if and when I'm ready WITH input from other solo divers.This may save my life.

"Should" or "should not" is not the topic of the forum.There WILL be solo divers and there WILL be those who fervently disagree.Fine.Please be kind enough to debate this elsewhere.

For me,I've already found diving to be a very personal experience.I've tried to find what is best for me and what I am comfortable with.I've found buddies,gear,dives,etc,that were great for what I want from diving,but were a taboo for others.That's fine too.Take what works,heed the rest,and dive the best you can.All divers are fortunate for the experience we each share.I would feel a loss if some part were dismissed for any reason.It may not be my cup of tea,but another diver may find it beautiful.

I'm a newbie with 0 solo dives.But I know that I WILL solo when I think I'm ready.
Other than in person,this forum is a rare resource for (possible/future)solo divers.I would much rather decide if and when I'm ready WITH input from other solo divers.This may save my life.

"Should" or "should not" is not the topic of the forum.There WILL be solo divers and there WILL be those who fervently disagree.Fine.Please be kind enough to debate this elsewhere.

For me,I've already found diving to be a very personal experience.I've tried to find what is best for me and what I am comfortable with.I've found buddies,gear,dives,etc,that were great for what I want from diving,but were a taboo for others.That's fine too.Take what works,heed the rest,and dive the best you can.All divers are fortunate for the experience we each share.I would feel a loss if some part were dismissed for any reason.It may not be my cup of tea,but another diver may find it beautiful.

I did not say to get rid of the forum, I would however rather discuss how to solo, where to solo, solo problems, perhaps places that give solo divers difficulty in anyway, equipment for solo divers etc instead of the constant seemingly justification for solo. It is almost like we are talking about something racial and need to justify being racists and care what some supremacist group thinks. Nobody justifies diving with a buddy (even if that buddy were a moron) so why justify solo or care what PadI thinks about it.

Whatever. Carry on, never mind. Maybe if we took our meds we would be more sociable like everybody else and not want to be deviate solo divers.:idk:

N
NAVED Master Diver 111 and social deviate solo diver and don't give a da-- what PadI thinks

Whatever. Carry on, never mind. Maybe if we took our meds we would be more sociable like everybody else and not want to be deviate solo divers.:idk:

N
NAVED Master Diver 111 and social deviate solo diver and don't give a da-- what PadI thinks

Don't need any meds.... but I have been accused of missing a few marbles :rofl3: And it is probably true (me being "marble-challenged" :D ).

Best wishes.

Here is your input. I said it a while back in this forum in another thread that I believe the only things solo divers should offer to those who ask are they or when will they be ready to solo dive is to state how and when they started, what equipment they use, what type of enviroment they dive in (warm/cold, clear/low vis, inland/ocean, overhead,etc) and what limitations they put on themselves. The do I have enough experience, what equipment should I use question shoud be answered by the diver himself after evaluating the responses. Just like beginning anything new it should be a progression.
I don't believe we as solo divers should say someone needs X number of dives, Y type of equipment or Z limitations.

I'll start.
My first solo was also my first dive about 52 years ago. I wasn't certified there was no such thing at that time.
I still use the same basic open water equipment I started with, no form of redundancy other than cutting tools. I dive mostly warm water both inland and ocean both clear and low vis, some limited overhead always in sight of the exit. Limitations are no deco, no overhead in low vis, recreational depth limits. I also realize that if I should decide to dive beyond what I have stated equipment requirements may need to be changed.

If a diver feels the need to ask when they would be ready to dive solo they probably aren't.

Me next:

My first solo was dive#21.
I dive coldwater, usually low vis, ocean and lakes, almost always shore entry, year round.
I dive the same gear whether buddied or solo.
I currently use independant twins (Al80's or St72's), knife and shears, smb/spool, spare mask and a lift bag. In known shallow water (< 50') I will forgo most forms of redundancy.
I utilized a gradual approach: Starting solo in known, sheltered locals with defined bottoms and expanding outward from there.
I believe the greatest skills a soloist can possess are self discipline and situational awareness and that soloing is 99.9% a head game.

Around dive 21 I was involved in a dive incident that highlighted some of the problems with a poorly executed buddy dive. While it did not influence my decision to solo, it did motivate me to take ownership of my own "experience" underwater. No more excuses! I know my gear, practice my skills, plan my dives. I even exercise and juice! If someone else is there - great; It's always more fun to talk to someone other than myself during the SI but I don't leave the responsability of diving up to them.
If I could, I would change the description under my name to "Self Sufficient Diver" instead of "Solo Diver" as I think that more accurately describes who I am.

Last edited:
Here is your input. I said it a while back in this forum in another thread that I believe the only things solo divers should offer to those who ask are they or when will they be ready to solo dive is to state how and when they started, what equipment they use, what type of enviroment they dive in (warm/cold, clear/low vis, inland/ocean, overhead,etc) and what limitations they put on themselves. The do I have enough experience, what equipment should I use question shoud be answered by the diver himself after evaluating the responses. Just like beginning anything new it should be a progression.
I don't believe we as solo divers should say someone needs X number of dives, Y type of equipment or Z limitations.

I'll start.
My first solo was also my first dive about 52 years ago. I wasn't certified there was no such thing at that time.
I still use the same basic open water equipment I started with, no form of redundancy other than cutting tools. I dive mostly warm water both inland and ocean both clear and low vis, some limited overhead always in sight of the exit. Limitations are no deco, no overhead in low vis, recreational depth limits. I also realize that if I should decide to dive beyond what I have stated equipment requirements may need to be changed.

Thanks for the input.But I didn't ask if anyone else thought I was ready.That is my decision.BTW I know I'm far from ready.
I'm just trying to learn the best way for me to get there.It doesn't take long to tire of the "am I ready" or "what gear" questions,so I can empathize with your complaints.
Diving solo inherently negates direct input from others,but discussing the experience of others helps us all learn if and when we are ready.

Diving solo inherently negates direct input from others,but discussing the experience of others helps us all learn if and when we are ready.

I never discussed going solo with anyone before I went solo. When I went to my PADI Instructor Factory for ~2 months of AOW-MSDT Prep and beyond I never discussed my past solo dives or future solo desires with any instructors, captains, classmates or new friends. When I did the first of 16 post certification Draeger Dolphin rebreather dives from this PADI 5-Star / Scuba Pro only CDC's charter boat (post IE also), the Captain came down from the bridge after tying up and announced that from now on he wanted that techie rig off his boat as soon as we tie up, your an instructor now so every dive is for all intensive purposes solo and please make a safety sweep of the Duane after every one else ascends! :idk:

When I did the first of 16 post certification Draeger Dolphin rebreather dives from this PADI 5-Star / Scuba Pro only CDC's charter boat (post IE also), the Captain came down from the bridge after tying up and announced that from now on he wanted that techie rig off his boat as soon as we tie up, your an instructor now so every dive is for all intensive purposes solo and please make a safety sweep of the Duane after every one else ascends! :idk:

Halemano, :rofl3:, excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom