Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

while a buddy is a great layer of safety , how close do they usually stay , and how often are they looking at you, or you at them , so that there would be an immedieate response?

It depends on the dive buddy. One needs to keep in mind that being a good dive buddy takes a mental commitment and a wee bit of effort. It also requires a commitment to sharing the dive ... if either member of the team thinks in terms of "my" dive, the buddy relationship doesn't work.

That said, being a photographer or diving with a photographer does not have to preclude a good buddy relationship. I've written an article on the subject if you're inclined to read it. This picture shows a practical application of photographer and dive buddy working together in a way that would provide an immediate response should either of them require it ...

IMG_8693.jpg

There are many good reasons to choose solo diving ... but poor buddy skills is not among them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey buddy,
Seems like you've gotten the full spectrum of opinions here, so just my $.02. When you're first certified you're told not to go deeper than 60'. Why? Little problem at 60 can be a game changer at 100, meaning that problem at 60 is a learning experience and a story and you're not another DAN statistic. Same thing for solo diving. Problem with a buddy there, 5 sec fix and a little good natured ribbing when you're back on shore. No buddy, maybe different outcome. I do both solo and non, and there are things I enjoy about both. My advice, dive with someone, have a few OH S*#T moments and you will be better versed in what you can handle. And always plan for and practice worst case scenario. Good luck

Spearfishing is a solo sport. Train, be prepared, expect the unexpected and don't take uneducated risks.

I almost lost my best friend because he couldn't help but go solo a day I wasn't available to dive with him.

He had well over 200 dives at the time, and we were working toward DM cert. He got caught in a down current in a canyon at 60 feet depth. The narrow rift channelled the current and strengthened it beyond his ability to swim or bouy against it. Forunately he pulled out of the instinctive panic and literally "drug" himself out of the hole. He was forced to surface CESA without a safety stop because his tank was empty.

He and I both share this experience with any diver we meet - anything can happen to anyone at anytime.

I cant see how a buddy would have helped there. You'd just have 2 people in a down current and 2 people running out of air.

Solo diving - one can approach this topic from different sides, so it's not an easy one. As a diver I must be FREE to dive alone. As a divemaster I'd have worries about an inexperienced solo diver, but then I have worries about inexperienced divers anyway.

I love to dive with my best bud, but if I don't have a good buddy I only go on dive trips where I'll be allowed to dive solo. Like most other folks posting to this topic, I know a well-shared dive is the best, but the worst is a wasted dive looking out for a careless buddy. As a photographer I'm pretty sure I'm not the most attentive buddy, but I always stay within helping distance of anyone with whom I'm diving. In other words, I do look up from my viewfinder occasionally, ha!

When I'm working as an instructor then I'm pretty much on my own, too, as far as my own safety is concerned, which is really what we're talking about. A solo diver is completely dependent on her own skills underwater.

What should be the experience level required for allowing someone to dive alone? I don't think there's a simple answer - I've dived with fabulous divers all over the world who aren't certified beyond basic but who always dive alone, some even working as dive guides. Then I've seen some pretty inadequate divers who have taken multiple 'advanced' courses but haven't really attained good experience, skill or fitness levels. So, in sum, a lot of experience diving in the same conditions is what the basic self-assessment should be. We've all been on boats when an experienced
warm-water diver has to learn to dive in a full wetsuit with gloves, hood and a heavy weight belt. Its always initially challenging.

If the insistence on buddy diving is because of safety, well, the vast majority of diving rescues are made for folks who began the dive with a buddy or two, which didn't seem to help in that instance. Most divers who die began that fatal dive with a buddy of some sort. And then there are those tragic events when both buddies die. Sometimes having a buddy may give a false sense of security and safety.

I strongly recommend the Los Angeles County Underwater Instructors Association
(L.A.C.UIA) Advanced Diver course for anyone wanting to improve their experience and skill level under supervision. This summer-long weekend series will prepare the certified diver with skills they just won't easily obtain in any other single class. And since all the dive instructors are L.A. County instructor-volunteers the class is not only excellent but also inexpensive.

When I dive for fun I really want to enjoy it and do what I most like to do. Unless I'm working on a dive I don't wish to be responsible for the care of a stranger who may not have invested sufficient time and effort to ensure adequate training, experience and skills. I'm paying $150+ for a one-day Channel Island trip and I want to dive as I'd like on those three dives, so please let me. I've paid my diving dues.

And P.S. I love to share the thrill of diving with a manta ray but I'd far rather see one when I'm solo than not see one at all! Hollow pleasure, NOT.

I most appreciate the view underwater without the distraction of a buddy. This statement comes after spending hundreds of dives solo as well as many more with students, inexperienced, and veterans buddies. Most of the time, with a buddy, I find myself shepparding and not really at ease. This is an effect of instructor training and feeling responsible for a large group of students underwater.

I learned to solo dive in the Gulf on oil rigs and lobstering on the Trysler (sp) grounds using a 3 person team: 2 up, 1 down. Experience is a great teacher, made some mistakes, made a lot of memories, and I am still here to write about it.

Best advise to someone wanting to solo: why? If just for sake of solo, go with a buddy. If for personal adventure, try it. The most memorable solo dive was at night years ago on the flower gardens with a large black snapper as a body guard. Had to turn off the dive light to keep him from eating all the sleeping fish. (Don't worry, it was a full moon, just before coral bloom, and I could see without the light).LOL

It's a good topic, I've talked to more that a few instructors who admit to diving solo, but only in hushed tones - a major taboo type thing. One thing they, and I, agree on is that since there are people doing it, more than any who admit it, classes and instruction should be embraced to teach how to solo dive - necessary extra equipment, alert systems, spare air etc. - instead of ignoring that it's happening.

Solo diving is not for divers that have any questions about your ability and your equipment. As in all diving - training on a regular basis is essential. Bottom line is are you comfortable with yourself and do you feel you have adequate training to be under water alone. I truly enjoy my solo dives and how I feel under water alone. I pay more attention to my equipment and surroundings when alone. I have the utmost confidence in myself to do many things alone - diving being one of them. Diving is dangerous Diving solo is more dangerous. It's not about brass balls it's about training and confidence. If your afraid to die Don't dive Solo.

OK, here's my first post on SB. I'm a cave diver, I usually dive solo. I enjoy diving with people I know, but I also enjoy being by myself. Redundancy is key - I've had light, scooter and reg failures in caves when diving solo, I guess I managed them OK. First rule - the only emergency is that you don't have a working regulator in your mouth. Plan your gas consumption, dive the rule of thirds, then bring additional gas. Lighting - if you require it (night dive, deep dive) have a good light and bring a couple backup lights. Backups can be $30 pelican lights, not a $100 custom machined LED rat light. For the additional gas, bring enough. Seriously, will a spare air get you from 100 ft to the surface? Without being bent? Have it accessible (rig it as a stage). Miniumum I'd use is an AL40 with a good quality reg. No octopus, perhaps a button SPG to check pressure when you set it up. Spare mask, absolutely. In a thigh pocket. Nothing else in the way. Buoyancy requirements vary depending on what kind of cylinders, exposure protection, etc. Stack a second wing between the backplate and tanks if there is a question, just don't hook up the LP inflator hose.

And the problem with buddies.... What I've seen is the folks that are ONLY for buddy diving are planning to look to their buddy for assistance, not planning to render assistance. Put a cattle boat full of like minded folks in the water and what have you got? Ouch! It protects the charter operator from liability (he made sure everyone had a buddy) but doesn't help the double fatality. If you dive solo you have to be ready to self-recover from any failure (anticipated or unanticipated) at any time. If you're not ready, don't do it - but don't get on a boat and buddy up with a person that is in the same situation. You're not doing them any favors and you might get killed. If you need more time with an instructor, hire a guide. Same goes for new/different conditions. Get someone who knows the conditions to show you around until you're comfortable. Then if you don't have a buddy you'll be in a better position to assess the conditions, and if you dive with someone you have a better chance of rendering assistance than becoming a statistic.

Mark
Fort Myers, FL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom