Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone;

I want to get your views or take on solo dives. I realize this is a hot topic and one that is not supported during training but I would like to hear from divers who have done a few solo dives and get your feedback with regards to the safety aspect and if you personally feel it's ok.

Having said this, I do realize that there's a risk evertime you dive, solo or not,and having a competent partner may actually save your life but I think the main point here is having a competent partner; one you can trust and one that will follow some of the protocol we've been taught during an emergency. Unfortunately you never know exactly how your dive partner will react until you do encounter an emergency.

I recently completed 2 solo dives and as taught during my training..."dive according to your skill set and what you are comfortable with" I did 2 shallow dives (10 meters max) and I have never felt more relaxed and at ease. Being alone allowed me to focus on nothing else but my own dive. I did not have to keep tracking my partner, checking our air, bearings, etc.; I just had a very relaxing dive and to tell you the truth, the most fun yet. I concentrated on navigation techniques, my breathing, my buoyancy and my euipment.

Again, I realize this is not an accepted practise and I am in no means trying to promote this; I just want to get some feedback on people's experiances and your honest opinion on diving solo.

Thanks everyone
Wayne

Other divers scare me more..

I agree with prior posts.. #1 you need to comfortable. #2You need to have procedures for issues #3 a Pony is a must!!

Sorry to be "disagreeable", but, well, no.... (I'm not directing this at you, just commenting on the ideas in your post :wink: ).

In reverse order:

1.) A pony is not a always a must. It depends on the dive, and the environment you are diving in, and the diver. 99% of my solo dives here in Hawaii over a 30 year period have been "sans" pony. I typically dive solo with the exact same gear as on a buddy dive. It is up to the diver to understand when redundancy becomes "a must".

2.) While it is great to try to plan for "what if's" and come up with "procedures" to handle those problems, until you have actually experienced an emergency or two underwater, you have no way of knowing how well you'll react... And until you get some experience, you may not even know what "issues" are likely on any given dive.

3.) "Comfort" is deceptive, and possibly dangerous. You may be comfortable because you are very experienced... or you may be comfortable because nothing "bad" has happened (yet). "Ignorance is Bliss" certainly can apply here. I was more comfortable solo (and diving in general) when I was a teenager in the 1970's than I am now at 52... I have a greater understanding of what can go wrong, and know that I still have shortcomings as a diver that could kill me if I am careless.

Best wishes.

Solo diving is about being self sufficient. How do you become self sufficient?

Through experience, leadership, knowing your limits, not making stupid decisions.

All divers at some point will find themselves diving solo because eventually your "buddy" will be into checking something out in one direction while you are probably doing the same in another direction.

I can write a book on solo diving, I have over 500 solo dives and the "boogie monster" hasn't eaten me as some would profess.

It's all about competence, redundancies, safety conciousness and... experience...

Now... how about diving old school with a backpack? If you weight yourself properly you don't need a BC... but that again takes experience...

I am going to stir things up a bit! As a UK diver - 4 star - BSAC 1st class - of over 10,000 dives and 40 years experience, my original training was centred on self-survival and this does not happen today. Today's training is based on looking after the buddy and I believe my earlier training was far superior as it included techniques not currently taught, because they are 'too dangerous' such as free ascent training. I then added to this with commercial mixed gas and saturation diving training and worked SOLO at depths up to 170 metres, although I have to admit I was always in communication with someone. I have carried out in excess of 1000 solo dives over the years and feel that they are safer than diving with a novice or a trainee. I would say that they are totally safe providing youhave the experience, training and have carries out a mental risk assessment before each solo dive and planned for things going wrong - this includes carrying emergency alternative air supplies if going deep. O.K. if I have a heart attack alone, I will probably die and that is a risk I accept because solo diving can be invigorating and satisfying on ocassions, as can buddy diving when you have the right buddy. Having said all this, I would not advocate solo diving to any inexperiencecd divers - that could be potentially fatal, but there is a place for it on ocassion, as many divers with similar overall experience will probably agree.

Last edited:
Hi
I have been solo diving for many years now and find diving on my own much more relaxing, no one to look after or worry about, take my time taking photos. And wreck diving. But I always make sure im diving with my twin set and a side slung. As you never know some time you may just need it. If you are S/D the you should think of any failures you may have. I also feel S/D can make you a better diver as it make you think more about your equipment you are using and planning your dive. Every year I S/D and except the risks I take during my dives, I am also covered by DAN for this sore of diving. When you here of so many diver fatalities this year due to rapid assents. It makes you wonder what the hell is going on at the moment. But every time you read about them it’s always a buddy team, never an S/D. so who more is at risk.

The most dangerous thing you can take in the water with you is a buddy. If you are not competent to dive solo then you are not competent to be a buddy.That may seem an outlandish statement to many, but I truly believe it and have always dived that way. I enjoy the company of others but underwater most are a handicap I would rather do without. The best dives are always when 2 solo divers decide to dive together, I know I can relax without worrying about them or what they might do. Be a better diver be a solo diver.

As a photographer I do a lot of solo diving, it started because I would spend so much time setting up and taking a shot that I felt guilty about neglecting my buddy, so I then did a solo course and changed my approach to diving in all sorts of ways. I always have multiple sources of redundancy such as independent doubles, a wing with twin bladders, a dry suit with suit inflation bottle, 2 SMB's with separate reels, at least two torches etc etc. All of which came after years of diving, some dangerous moments and a lot of training and even more thought and contingency planning. Solo diving can be a wonderful experience but isn't something to be taken lightly.

I haven't done a true solo dive but I have dove where I was de facto diving solo, such as being the third diver in a group and then leaivng the group. I try to be self-sufficient but recognize that there are risks in doing this. It would be safer with Spare Air or a pony bottle, which I don't currently have.

Simple really!!! Understand the risks, get trained and live with your choice every time you enter the water alone.

Back
Top Bottom