Solo diver missing - Tanguisson beach, Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
First responders search Tanguisson for missing man
The Guam Police Department, Guam Fire Department and Coast Guard are searching for a missing man at Tanguisson Beach.

GFD received a report Saturday of a missing 55-year-old man who may have ventured into the waters to dive alone Friday. GFD units, which are leading the search for the man, were requested at 9:10 a.m. and arrived at the scene at 9:33 a.m., according to GFD acting spokeswoman Cherika Chargualaf.

At 1:44 p.m., a helicopter joined the search.

Families and friends of the missing man, who were seen behind rescue units at the beach, declined to comment.

64-year-old Julian Aguon, said he saw the man enter the waters.

"The waves were so rough and high," Aguon said. "Fisherman tried their best to go into the waters, but they ran back with scratches."

Aguon said he saw a man wearing a yellow and white shirt, with blue shorts, walk into the water. The man, who he presumes to be the missing diver, carried gear into the ocean, left his gear and walked back to his car. Once the man entered the waters again, Aguon said he never saw the person walk back onto land.

"I hope he's sitting down on a rock or in a cave, enjoying his life," Aguon said.

"This time of the year, it looks nice and peaceful, but once they get out there, it's dangerous," said Assistant Fire Chief Daren Burrier.

Burrier said that GFD sent a personal motorized watercraft and rescue boat into the waters. First responders found a diving fin that matched the diver's gear, with no person in sight, he said. The man's car is still parked at the beach.

Less than two weeks ago, the National Weather Service reported a tropical disturbance near Yap. The weather resulted in wet and windy weather that continues to affect Guam. The National Weather Service had Guam, Rota, Tinian and Saipan under a high surf advisory until 7 a.m. April 24.

I usually go a few months between logins, and always approach checking the accident forum with a case of nerves. I usually scan for "Guam, Palau, Micronesia, Chuuk, Truk, Saipan" and breathe a sigh of relief when I don't see anything.

Today, there was no sigh of relief.

I knew this diver, having worked with him at Guam Tropical Dive Station briefly in the 90s. I was a good guy. He was a good diver. He was a good tech. I am sad to hear that he appears to have been lost.

My heartfelt condolences go to his family and friends.

Nathan Dent

New information from member of the Guam diving community who knew the diver well: This wasn't an OC dive, he was wearing his rebreather.

Back
Top Bottom