Solo and diving Ft.L. area or north June 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aucilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to visit Boca/Ft. Lauderdale and am staying over Saturday, June 26, to dive. I am a new diver, YMCA certified AOW. I will be buddy-less, and will have all my gear but cylinders.

I have dived 11 times, including to 100' and a night dive, but all were with instructors through this wonderful program at Florida State in Tallahassee: FSU Academic Diving Program Introductory Course

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale in the 50's and 60's, and my older brother [later killed in a boat wreck] dove all the reefs out there. I can't wait to see it for myself.

My wife will be in town with me, but I will be on my own as far as the dive is concerned.

I would like to find some folks to dive with on that day, Boca Raton south through Ft. Lauderdale. I am enthused! I can't wait!

I have editted this because the way I wrote it originally sounded like I was interested in diving solo. I know better than for me to try that!

So, what now?

You've come to the right place. Watch the Private Trips section here. There's usually something posted by Wednesday or Thursday about the upcoming weekend dive activity. I'll probably be out of water that weekend (moving my family to Hollywood from North Carolina), but this group is great! I wish I'd had buddies like these for my early dives.

Welcome to the sport and welcome back to the southern part of the state. Keep an eye on the board, as we get together all over the place, including the springs, which are a little closer to home for you.

Many safe ascents,
Grier

Aucilla:
I am going to visit Boca/Ft. Lauderdale and am staying over Saturday, June 26, to dive. I am a new diver, YMCA certified AOW. I will be buddy-less, and will have all my gear but cylinders.

I have dived 11 times, including to 100' and a night dive, but all were with instructors through this wonderful program at Florida State in Tallahassee
...SNIP...
Sorry but we don't recognize FSU programs down here... now you'll have to re-certify before you can even DRIVE to the beach but your FSU bumper sticker permits you to park in handicapped zones lol <yuk-yuk-yuk... a Gator here...>
Aucilla:
...SNIP...I sure don't want to dive, on this my first dive without my instructors about, with an inexperienced buddy unless I am on a well controlled dive boat. But for that caveat, I am enthused! I can't wait!
What do I do now??
Many of us here enjoy solo diving and you make a VERY good point about diving with an inexperienced buddy (aka "the blind leading the blind").

Still, we do have dive accidents here and you should consider posting a "private" dive trip here as the date approaches - I know I would if I were going to a new place, if for no other reason because the locals know where all the good spots are and their characteristics. They'll save spinning your wheels, and more than likely there will be several options already posted here by then.

If you are merely buddyless, boat diving is a good option and the drivers/DMs will fill you in on the site, what to do, what NOT to do, etc.

11 dives isn't exactly a newby, so if you're set on solo I suggest you continue doing your homework - we can suggest beaches and what to look for, how far to find the reefs, etc. No need, however... I think you'll find a lot of group activities you can join in on.

Thanks for the input. I have changed the subject line of this message, because I definately want to dive with a buddy, but I will be down there not knowing anybody. Now even a Gator will understand! :)

If I go on one of the boat dives, I suspect that everybody will already be paired up. So, I guess the best deal would be to do as you said, and post on here closer to June 26.

Then, if that doesn't work, I can call a charter and ask them and let them tell me, predictably, that it is cool to arrive at the boat buddy-less.

I can't wait to get past the hurdle of getting this set or planned because I can't wait to get in the water and see the world down there!

Aucilla:
SNIP... If I go on one of the boat dives, I suspect that everybody will already be paired up.[/I]
As far as I know, nobody will have a problem with you diving from their boat without a buddy... at least I've done it a few times but they know me. On the other hand, if you ask the DM, he can pair you with somebody. It happens all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom