Sola 800 Dive vs. 800 Photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leefmh

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am debating between the Sola 800 dive versus the 800 photo. I am in search of a primary dive light and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these lights. I want to eventually get into underwater photography but am not sure whether the spot/flood options on the dive are more advantageous. I dive cold water locally here in Vancouver. Would appreciate any input!

Thanks!

I have used the Sola 1200 for both lighting as well as on my camera for focus light and video flood light. I love the extra light the 1200 provides as well as the ability to switch from flood to spot, plus the three light levels.

[edit] I've had it for several years now and love it. It's moved from one camera system to another, and currently lives on my G16 Ikelite tray on loc-line using the ball adapter. The other side is my strobe.

I also build a tray for my UW video camera (go-pro clone) so I can just take that sometimes and again the 1200 goes on loc-line connected to the tray to provide video light.

i have used the dive 1200 and my buddy has the photo 1200, both for photos for a few years. Other than the red lights on the photo, what does the photo have over the dive? If you need the red, great, other wise, the dive would be fine. I believe bluewaterphoto talked me into the dive light and I had no regrets.

fyi, bluewaterphoto has a sale today, call them up and ask there opinion.

I've got an 800 photo and a 1200 dive. I use the 800 on my camera rig, and the 1200 as a dive light.

The photo has white and red flood settings. The dive has white flood and spot settings. Since you're in cold water country and probably see your share of mediocre to crappy viz, I strongly recommend a light that has a spot function. Flood is very poor for signaling, and in bad viz you get a lot of backscatter, so I wouldn't choose a light without a spot setting as a dive light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom