Sola 2000 Light with Hand Strap? and Light Advice please! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindysoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A noob question: Why would someone want a hand strap on a dive light? The Sola Dive 2000 S/F Underwater Video Light Light & Motion Sola Dive 2000 S/F Underwater Video & Dive Light
comes with a hand strap.

Is this light a dual purpose light where you could use it as a video flood light and a spot focus light, and a night dive primary light?

In what situation would you have it strapped to your hand?

I'm trying to find a light or two lights that will help me with:
1) Focus light
2) Night dive primary light (so that I don't have to keep renting those bulky primary lights)
3) Give me my hands back so that I can operate my strobes and camera
4) Video light

I'm a noob UW photographer but would like to future proof and be equipped to do a bit of video in the future. Right now its all about getting used to 2 strobes and using a focus light, and shooting at night without having to worry about carrying a bulky rental dive light!

Any help, greatly appreciated! :)

It's not wide enough for a video light. Spot is used for signaling. The "spot" on this light isn't actually very spot like. However, it would be an acceptable light for a night dive.

You strap it to your hand so that you have your hands free to do things. For underwater photography, you want your focus light mounted to your camera. For underwater photography, you would most likely be stowing a primary light when you found a subject you wanted to photograph, and use your focus light as intended.

If you have this strapped to your hand and start messing about with your camera and strobes everyone is going to think that you're having an issue. Erratic light movement is a clear sign of distress, imagine how it would look if you started shining a light around like a disco while you're moving strobes. Not to mention the possibility of blinding whoever is in the water with you, as well as shining a light randomly through your photos.

Hey JohnnyC,
That's why I thought it odd to have a strap on your hand.
Perhaps on your head or on your arm, but on your hand?

If its strapped to your hand, and you start using your hands to let's say, grab your wand or move your strobes about, it would BE a disco indeed. I couldn't imagine it. A headlamp I can imagine that being useful.

So, if someone was to use this, its strapped to their hand, they'd have to turn it off and then turn the focus light on their camera rig to take a photo?

So if that Sola isn't wide enough for a video light, what would you recommend?

Maybe what I'm asking is, is there a light I can mount on my camera rig that can act as a night dive light, focus light, have red light option and is a video light? Does that even exist? Or do I need 2 lights?

Thanks again :)

Maybe what I'm asking is, is there a light I can mount on my camera rig that can act as a night dive light, focus light, have red light option and is a video light? Does that even exist? Or do I need 2 lights?

Kraken Hydra 3500 and 5000, Archon DM20, D35VP II, D36VR, D37VP, Scubalamp PV32T, all offer a narrow white beam, wide white beam, red mode and blue/UV mode.

No, but I have a pair of Archon D36V lights, which are basically the same as D37VP without the narrow beam option. Used them on five trips so far, no issues.

So do you use it as your night dive primary light as well?

I think that the OP missed a bit. The Sola light with the hand strap is NOT for photographers but rather for divers not doing photography but wanting a night light. Kind of like the canister light that the GUE (goober underwater expeditioners) use for every dive. IF you have a camera then the sola light will go on the top of the camera for focusing and general seeing at night.
Bill

I use a Sola or a iTorch, or Fix as a primary night light, focus light and video light (in the rare case I shoot video). One light does it all
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom